Steinway piano

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
benny ray

Steinway piano

Post by benny ray »

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libr ... hris-maene

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Steinway piano and what are your opinions ?
Lee Batchelor

Re: Steinway piano

Post by Lee Batchelor »

Hi Benny,

I just read your post. I'll try loading the new piano and let you know what I think. Thanks for the heads up :)!
Lee Batchelor

Post by Lee Batchelor »

Benny, I downloaded the Steinway piano. I'm not impressed. It seems over processed or something.
All the other pianos sound very natural - to the point I find it difficult to turn off my Nord :)! I'd be most curious to hear other opinions.

Nord, I think you dropped the ball on this one. Everything else like the EPs and Organs are great, although the synth voices really need to be updated from the 80s!
Last edited by Lee Batchelor on 25 Jan 2017, 14:53, edited 2 times in total.
OrpheusNY
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by OrpheusNY »

I posted my thoughts here:

http://www.norduserforum.com/general-no ... 12461.html

It's an painstaking replica of the 1836 pianoforte Heinrich Steinway built in his kitchen, not a modern piano. It's not intended for everyday use. However, for that Tom Waits type ballad that you maybe want the sound of a piano with mileage on it, for my money it does what the Rain Piano does, but better.

I haven't taken it off my E5 yet. My theory is outside the bread and butter pianos, I want the starkest contrast possible. As I said in the other post, I wouldn't expect anybody with less than 1 gb piano memory to make it a regular.
Lee Batchelor

Post by Lee Batchelor »

That explains it, Orpheus. It does sound a lot like an old vintage upright or something. When I see "Steinway" I think of that gorgeous machine Diana Krall plays, with its deep and accurate tonality. Now that I know what it is, I'll leave it for special stuff. Thanks for clearing that up!
benny ray

Post by benny ray »

OrpheusNY wrote:I posted my thoughts here:

http://www.norduserforum.com/general-no ... 12461.html

It's an painstaking replica of the 1836 pianoforte Heinrich Steinway built in his kitchen, not a modern piano. It's not intended for everyday use. However, for that Tom Waits type ballad that you maybe want the sound of a piano with mileage on it, for my money it does what the Rain Piano does, but better.

I haven't taken it off my E5 yet. My theory is outside the bread and butter pianos, I want the starkest contrast possible. As I said in the other post, I wouldn't expect anybody with less than 1 gb piano memory to make it a regular.

For me the piano sounded outdated and I have taken it out of my NE5d.
Horacio
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Horacio »

If it sounded outdated, they got it right! It's a piano from 1836.
These users thanked the author Horacio for the post (total 2):
Mr_-G-, maurus
Gambold

Post by Gambold »

> It's a piano from 1836.<

I continue to wonder why they bothered. Sure, there's always a group out there who will like it or anything, but it's not going to be a very big group...and no-one is going to have this sample in their regular rotation.

Chances are if you are heavily into authentic period instruments, and/or are playing in combos dedicated to the same, you aren't plugging a Nord in at practice time.
Mr_-G-
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Mr_-G- »

Horacio wrote:If it sounded outdated, they got it right! It's a piano from 1836.
:thumbup: :D
maurus
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by maurus »

+1

I love these historical pianos. Lots of character there. I won't take the new - old - Steinway off my Electro anytime soon. I also love the Broadwood which is a bit fuller and darker than this Steinway.

One thing that I found, though, is that you need to EQ and amplify these sounds very precisely to make them sound natural. That's not the stuff you want to play through an awful amp.