Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Improving Electro 5D SW73 acoustic piano sounds?

Postby DanLong » 09 Jan 2017, 20:19

For the mid sweep- the best way to hear what it does is to turn the mid level all the way up, and then turn the sweep back and forth, you can hear what effect it has on the tone.
DanLong

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Sponsor

Postby Lee Batchelor » 10 Jan 2017, 03:27

Good info, Dan. I've never understood how to effectively use the mid sweep knob. I also have one on my SoundCraft mixer. Thanks!
Lee Batchelor

Postby michael_C1 » 14 Jan 2017, 23:32

Part of the nature of an SW keyboard is that, because there's less weight resistance, you're going to trigger the highest velocities more easily. As someone said earlier, you might want to think about the weighted HP version, assuming piano is the main focus of your playing. Otherwise my thinking is that you're stuck with what Nord gives you unless you want to go to some trouble. There are apps that can adjust velocity, but you'd have to midi out to an iPad or PC, then midi back in to your E5 to work this out.
michael_C1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby Lee Batchelor » 15 Jan 2017, 15:33

I have found that the KBD Touch button has a profound affect on velocities.

The author Lee Batchelor was thanked by:
afroskully
Lee Batchelor

Postby afroskully » 15 Jan 2017, 23:52

That kbd touch button is interesting. I have a SW 5D and I always think that since I tend to play on the harder side that if I enable it that it will trigger those higher aspects of the velocity curve that much easier. But somehow with the acoustic pianos it seems to have the opposite effect. Almost like it makes me play with a lighter touch. Quite helpful.
afroskully

Postby Quertior » 17 Jan 2017, 17:54

Amidst the debate about EQ and amp settings, I also experience the phenomenon that OP is referring to. Basically, I've determined that the SW keybed has a far too aggressive velocity curve for playing piano, even on the lowest velocity curve setting. (I grew up as a "pianist," playing on fully weighted keyboards and acoustic pianos, so part of it is probably that my fingers are calibrated to the force that a HA keybed requires.

The solution I use is to stack the Electro on an 88 key weighted HA board controlling the Electro — I use the Electro keyboard for organ and synth, HA board for piano, and either one for EP depending on my mood. I understand, though, that not everyone has a second 88-key keyboard to use, and not everyone can or wants to carry two boards to a gig. Honestly, as much as I do love the Nord piano sounds (they absolutely sing when played with a proper HA keyboard), I end up taking just my Yamaha to gigs where piano is the main focus, because it has a serviceable piano sound and I only have to take one keyboard.

Oh well, maybe one day I'll upgrade to an 88-key Stage and get the best of both worlds...
Electro 5D 61, Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha P120, and some guitars, basses, and drums
Quertior

Postby eibinger » 23 Jan 2017, 14:57

Hi guys, thanks for your posts. I have the same problem like many of you with my Nord 5d. I did not grew up als Pianist, I grew up as organist. I am disappointed for the Nord-Piano-Sounds, because the "velocity" of my SW73-Keyboard weakens the sounds in band-context. Most of the time, I use my Kurzweil SP4/7 and my Nord5d on stage. the Kurzweil is a Little bit simple in comparishion to the nord, but in band-context you can hear my piano-sounds in the right measure. acutally I consider to sell my nord5 and use my hammond xk-1, which has the better hammond-sound, but the programming at home to prepare the gigs is much better using nord5 than using Kurzweil or Hammond. it is a terrible problem of luxury!
eibinger

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby OrpheusNY » 23 Jan 2017, 16:59

Have you tried playing the Nord piano sounds from the Kurzweil keybed via MIDI?
OrpheusNY

Postby eibinger » 23 Jan 2017, 17:02

Yes, I did and the sounds work well and are much better!
But .... I don´t want to carry two keyboards to small gigs. the organ-sounds of Kurzweil are not so perfect, as they are in Hammond or Nord, but this compromise I will do (and save weight!)
eibinger

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby anotherscott » 30 May 2017, 01:08

michael_C1 wrote:Part of the nature of an SW keyboard is that, because there's less weight resistance, you're going to trigger the highest velocities more easily....There are apps that can adjust velocity, but you'd have to midi out to an iPad or PC, then midi back in to your E5 to work this out.

or a device like
http://midisolutions.com/prodvel.htmImage
but nothing is going to make a spring-based action behave like an action with a hammer mechanism.
anotherscott

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Electro Forum