This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Recording through USB

Postby MogPup » 24 Nov 2016, 23:41

Hi all, i've got a Stage 2 and have been trying to connect and record onto my laptop through the USB and as yet have'nt been able to acheive this, not knowing anything about recording through midi/USB or any other means for that matter is'nt helping the situation.
Looking through the manual states that you can send midi data through USB, so to me that implies you can record from the stage 2 onto my laptop. I have installed the USB drivers but there's nothing being recognised within the sound area of my laptop (where you find the microphone/speakers etc), i'm not fantastic with computers either!
I can connect the Stage 2 with the Nord sound manager through USB.
Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.
MogPup

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Recording through USB

Sponsor

Re: Recording through USB

Postby Berretje » 25 Nov 2016, 00:35

Hi,

First of all: MIDI is not audio (there are lots of topics on this forum about it).
In short: MIDI is only note/controller/etc information. So if a note has been pressed/released.

If you want to record audio, you'll have to use an audio interface (soundcard with jack/xlr connectivity).

Gr
Bart
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper

The author Berretje was thanked by:
MogPup
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby MogPup » 25 Nov 2016, 11:33

Ok thanks for that Berretje.
Primarily what I want to do is record my playing whilst GF is singing, I want us to get into a recording studio eventually but just wanted a basic set-up so we can get things something like before paying loads out for studio time.
Does anyone have any suggestions for what kind of cheapish kit would do for this job?
MogPup

Postby Johannes » 25 Nov 2016, 12:02

Hi MogPup,

As Berretje said, the USB cable of your NORD will only record and playback MIDI, which can be fine for your purpose, but then you have to do a mixdown playing the MIDI back on your NORD (or any software instrument) and simultaneously recording it as AUDIO.

If you want to make a serious (more or less) demo though, definitively get a Audio Interface so you can record in parallel Voice and Keys, in decent quality (better than "the sound area of my laptop (where you find the microphone/speakers etc)").
These days those IOs can be had for very reasonable prices, e.g., https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_sca ... nd_gen.htm
Two inputs should be enough for your purpose (if you don't necessarily need stereo, then better get the 6i6)
(Interfaces by Behringer could be a cheaper option but would prefer the Focusrite; or a MOTU, which is a bit more pricey, depends on your budget)

Then spend some good time reading or get a book on home recording and get used to a DAW (freeware Audacity could be enough for a start), or Ableton Live Lite that comes which the Focusrites.

That little money and some time to get used to the equipment is vital if you want to have good results, you, your gf, and potential audience will appreciate a lot!!

Best,
Johannes

The author Johannes was thanked by:
MogPup
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby MogPup » 26 Nov 2016, 15:40

Thanks for the info Johannes. I should've asked on here first. I brought a condenser mic with a 3.5mm jackplug for GF to use, thinking when I had it plugged into laptop it was working I now know that it was through the laptop mic. D'oh.
I brought one of these which turned up today
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Extern ... nd+adapter
Which does work well with stage 2 but very quiet with mic. I've been looking at getting a Behringer for a starting block and see where we go from there.
To be honest I feel guilty about the stage 2 as I don't use it anywhere near it's potential, not enough hours in the day and all that.
MogPup

Postby KyleM » 22 Jan 2017, 19:34

I have the 6i6 and it has 4 inputs. Two XLR/TRS in the front Two TRS in the back and SPDIF in and out.
KyleM

Return to General Nord Forum