Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Electro 5D 61 Owner Manual - leaves a lot to be desired

Postby Leroy » 20 Jan 2017, 20:34

The manual with my new Nord Electro 5d 61 is basically crap. It really is, it tells you nothing. So, how do you switch off ' memory protect' to start to store sounds ? Any help ?
Leroy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Electro 5D 61 Owner Manual - leaves a lot to be desired

Sponsor

Re: Electro 5D 61 Owner Manual - leaves a lot to be desired

Postby OrpheusNY » 20 Jan 2017, 20:55

Funny- After years of 200 page manuals with varying degrees in quality of Japanese translation, I very much appreciated the fact that the NE5 manual is only 24 pages. Different strokes.

Because they pack all the info into 24 pages, it's worthwhile to take the time to read it through slowly and deliberately.

The first three paragraphs on page 16 spell out the answer to your question.

Edited to add: judging by how many times this question gets asked, the manual certainly could be improved, probably with a note on page 6 that informs the user they need to take the step outlined on page 16 before the process outlined on page 6 can actually be done for the first time.
Last edited by OrpheusNY on 20 Jan 2017, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

The author OrpheusNY was thanked by:
Sounddune
OrpheusNY

Postby Leroy » 20 Jan 2017, 21:05

It's not that clear at all. Thank goodness for YouTube videos. I found out how to do. I thank you anyhow.
Leroy

Postby MvanD » 20 Jan 2017, 21:42

Leroy wrote:The manual with my new Nord Electro 5d 61 is basically crap.

Come on, relax. It is basically very ok, but there are a few points that could need improvement.

An example:
In another thread there was a comment that it is not clear how to access the system menu.
In the manual it says in chapter 2:
"Buttons are used for turning functions on and off and switching between different settings. Many
buttons serve multiple purposes, in which case a second function will be described under the
button, and is accessed by pressing SHIFT
. "

'System' is written under the button, so it is accessed by pressing shift.
Now, on the page where the system menu is explained (chapter 5), it is assumed that you (having read the manual) know that this function is accessed by pressing shift, so it is not explained again.

I think it would be better to describe all the steps you have to take, on the page that is dealing with a certain subject... and not assume that everybody can tie the knots, remembering something they have read 10 pages earlier...

/my 2 cents
Last edited by MvanD on 20 Jan 2017, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
MvanD
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Leroy » 20 Jan 2017, 23:24

You are of course correct, Meneervandale. I agree.
Leroy

Postby Lee Batchelor » 21 Jan 2017, 05:27

Would anyone like the opinion of a technical writer and technical writing instructor? That's me :).

All companies are profit driven and unfortunately at the outset, there is no apparent return on investment for paying a technical writer to develop manuals. Those tasks are often left to engineers and secretaries. Such people are very valuable to a company but they have no business writing manuals. Even if Nord employs a technical writer, he or she may be instructed to only produce a “bare-bones” manual.

Having said that, the 5D manual is a "Getting Started Manual." It does not explore the inner workings of what the 5D can really do. I believe extensive manuals are seldom written because (as Leroy mentioned) many advanced level concepts are available on YouTube from those who have figured out these concepts. Why would Nord pay a technical writer to do something that others are willing to do for free?

This issue is a product of the internet age. I own a Tyros 5 and the reference manual (152 pages) is very involved. Even at that, it doesn't begin to cover what that keyboard can do. To document every possible function imaginable, it would take three technical writers a few years to come up with a 1,000 page manual. Meanwhile, the average user can read a few pages from the User’s Guide and be playing his or her favorite tune in less than 10 minutes.

I totally disagree with the concept of relying on users for advanced information when you are paying thousands of dollars for a 61 key machine. Make no mistake about it – Nord is NOT in the business of making keyboards. They are in the business of making money. By skimping on manuals, they can add a few more points to their bottom line. To be fair, I still love their product!
Lee Batchelor

Postby Leroy » 21 Jan 2017, 13:35

Thanks for that insight, Lee. You are also correct in every way. As much as I dislike the Nord manual I too also love the keyboard, it sounds fabulous. Most of the functions are fairly intuitive but the deeper levels of use I do find confusing. I hate buttons that do two or three different things. Anyhow, I thank you for your contribution.
Leroy

Postby Lee Batchelor » 21 Jan 2017, 15:49

Glad to help, Leroy :)
Lee Batchelor

Postby Arjan P » 21 Jan 2017, 16:21

The thing that comes before a well-written user manual is intuitive product design. And if your product is operated so differently then the competition's (and has a very limited interface, like earlier Electros' two digit displays), the need for a good manual is even bigger. I think Nord could and should do better. And, once a good manual structure is devised (without having to read something on page 16 that you need on page 6) it can be utilised in all future products. Maybe there's no direct apparent return on investment, but if people don't feel confident about the use of their instrument they're easier scared away to the competition.
Arjan P

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby Lee Batchelor » 21 Jan 2017, 23:55

Agreed, Arjan.

Documents must be structured for usability, readability, and retrievability. What good is information if you can’t understand it, it's filled with gaps, or you can't find information because it is placed out of order? In the perfect world, companies use technical writers from the ramp-up stage of product development, right to the end or release phase. In all my years of writing, I’ve only been involved at that level once! That’s the sad state of affairs today. Companies worship the engineering and marketing folks but could care less whether users can get the most from their products. That last statement may be somewhat generalized, however, thanks to the internet, users can download product manuals before they buy the product. If the manual is terrible, it influences their buying decision. Companies need to deal with this at a higher level.

Case in point: when I set out to design and build my own subwoofer for stage performances, I checked the Eminence website. They clearly provided all Thiele-Small parameters and recommendeded cabinet details. If you have any speaker design savvy whatsoever, you are compelled to buy an Eminence driver. Are Eminence drivers the best that money can buy? Probably not, however, they are extremely robust and thanks to the documentation on their website, the buying decision is practically made for you.

I wonder if Nord would like to hire me? Great manuals come from those with technical writing knowledge and product knowledge :)!
Last edited by Lee Batchelor on 21 Jan 2017, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Batchelor

Next

Return to Nord Electro Forum