Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Nord Piano 2 - Sostenuto Pedal Settings

Postby Ron Co » 13 Dec 2016, 15:50

I am trying to set up the sostenuto pedal to the 'SynSustGate' settng to enable latching a synth sound on. I can get to the Pedal Menu, I can scroll up to the SynSustGate setting, but then I don't get the sustain gate feature to work. What am I doing wrong? In fact, now that I fiddle around with the pedal settings, I cannot get the middle pedal to give me synth sustain. Also the normal acoustic piano sostenuto function does not work with the middle pedal when this function is selected. And I note the left pedal does not provide any decrease in acoustic piano volume when this pedal is pressed. Do I have some global setting improperly selected? Need some expert help here. Thanks.
Ron Co

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Nord Piano 2 - Sostenuto Pedal Settings

Sponsor

Re: Nord Piano 2 - Sostenuto Pedal Settings

Postby Ron Co » 13 Dec 2016, 16:13

OK . . . it's me again. Just connected the pedal plug to my digital ohmmeter. The ring to shield circuit is open regardless of pedal position for the middle and left pedals. I read on the Forum that the middle pedal should switch to 10k ohms when pressed, the left to 5K ohms when pressed. So I can conclude here that there is either an open circuit from the pedal switches or the switches themselves are faulty. Open circuit is more likely because it would be unlikely that the mid and left pedal switches would both fail. Pedal disassembly required.
Ron Co

Postby Ron Co » 13 Dec 2016, 19:22

Disassembled the pedals. Black wire in the cable feeds the terminal marked 'ring'. The black wire serves both the middle pedal and left pedal functions. From the ring terminal on the pedal circuit board to the ring at the connector - circuit was open. Disassembled the connector - all solder joints looked OK. So I cut the cable back from the connector an inch or two and found the black wire broken (it just pulled out of the cable). Cut a bit more off the cable, stripped the wires, soldered them appropriately to the connector terminals and, voila, problem solved. Put it all back together, and now the left pedal soft works OK. Center pedal sostenuto works as advertised. Center pedal sustain for synth also works but the SynSustGate feature does not function as I had hoped. What it will do is sustain a struck note or chord when you immediately follow that note by holding the middle pedal down. You can then play any other another notes (on a layered piano, for example) with no synth sounds generated. Once you release the middle pedal, the sustained synth note shuts off. For this to work 'Synth' must be selected at the 'SustPed Off' button.
Last edited by Ron Co on 13 Dec 2016, 19:29, edited 2 times in total.
Ron Co

Postby Ron Co » 16 Jan 2017, 00:34

Sustain pedal quit operating during a worship service. Re-positioning the cable was a temporary corrective action. Operating sustain while gently flexing the cable revealed an intermittent discontinuity near the middle of the cable. Obviously the cable is faulty and apparently subject to failure over time as my earlier experience above indicates. So where can I purchase a replacement cable with connector and with the integrated strain relief on the pedal housing end?
Ron Co

Postby Mr_-G- » 17 Jan 2017, 01:14

I think any 'stereo' cable (TRS) should work.
Here are some photos of the soldered cable, just in case.
nord-stage-forum-f3/inside-triple-pedal-modification-t1883.html
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum