General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Changing MIDI mode to OMNI on Stage 2

Postby paradox » 16 Jan 2017, 03:47

I am trying to use the Stage 2 to control a Roland Integra-7 and would like to be able to trigger multiple parts live. I would like to assign each Part on the Integra to separate MIDI channel so that I can use a separate MIDI mixer and controller (Novation Launch Control XL) to modify levels and parameters on the fly. My plan was to transmit using Omni mode on the Stage 2 so that all Channels (1-16) would be transmitted simultaneously. By zoning the keyboard range on the Integra-7 itself, I can create splits and crossovers.

However, I am at a loss of how to change the MIDI mode from Poly to OMNI. Normally, one would toggle MIDI CC 126 to set the mode to Omni, but I can only access MIDI CC 1-120 on the Stage 2.

Instead, I am left with assigning all Parts on the Integra-7 to a single channel (2 channels if I use both slots) which still allows me to set the key range of each part. However, I am unable to control other MIDI parameters independently for each part on the Integra.

Any advice on how to tackle this?
Last edited by paradox on 16 Jan 2017, 06:31, edited 2 times in total.
paradox

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Changing MIDI mode to OMNI on Stage 2

Sponsor

Re: Changing MIDI mode to OMNI on Stage 2

Postby maxpiano » 16 Jan 2017, 09:15

MIDI Omni doesn't work like that, it is for receival only and mot implemented on NS2; from the NS2 you can only transmit on 3 channels: Extern A and B (assignable to zones) + Global.

Any other MIDI setting you need to manage the parts must be made on the Integra, e.g. You can set Extern A on NS2 to Ch 15 and then have a number of Integra parts responding to that same channel (to obtain a layer).
Last edited by maxpiano on 16 Jan 2017, 09:19, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Changing MIDI mode to OMNI on Stage 2

Postby paradox » 16 Jan 2017, 17:01

Thanks for the clarification regarding OMNI.

I have been trying to output everything on a single MIDI channel and using the parts to split/layer the keyboard using Integra's editor. The main problem that I am having is with controlling individual part volumes. While I can set them up in the editor, as soon as I change one part real time, it affects them all in the same way. I suspect that the iPad interface is controlling volumes using CC. While I can mute individual parts, I can't change the individual volumes. The best that I can do is to have control over 2 (3 with global) MIDI channels.
paradox

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord Stage Forum