Hum - Nord Stage 2 HA76 after mounting Nord Stand

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
swissmisfit
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Hum - Nord Stage 2 HA76 after mounting Nord Stand

Post by swissmisfit »

Dear forum,

I just mounted the original Nord Stand on my Nord Stage 2 HA76 and followed every step in the manual. I worked very carefully and never turned the unit upside down.

However, after putting the Stage back on its new legs, the device hums - the power supply, that wasn't inaudible before, all of a sudden produces that annoying noise.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance,

Swissmisfit
Falcon2e
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: Hum - Nord Stage 2 HA76 after mounting Nord Stand

Post by Falcon2e »

Just to help diagnose your issue, try moving the Nord to a different room. Do you have a florescence light fixture on the vicinity?
pablomastodon
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Post by pablomastodon »

The hum has nothing whatever to do with any external condition such as fluorescent lights, etc. The hum's origins are in the iron-core transformer on the power supply board which provides various voltages to the unit. Apparently, in your case, your existing chassis's inherent resonant frequency did not align with 60Hz (or do you have 50Hz in Schweiz?). Now, with the leg kit mounting plates installed onto the underside of the lower chassis, its inherent resonant frequency is altered to something which does align with the cycle frequency of your mains power (or a related overtone). Your new chassis configuration is now amplifying the vibrations coming from the transformer, somewhat similar to the way a tuning fork's vibrations are amplified when touching the base to the body of a violin or similar.

Perhaps installation of some thin rubber washers or similar between those mounting plates and the Nord's lower chassis may serve to dampen/decouple the assembly somewhat and eliminate this noise.

Good luck.

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
swissmisfit

Post by swissmisfit »

Hi Falcone, hi Pablo,

Thank you very much for your replies! I don't have any fluorescence light around in that room. Pablo's reply seems to make sense - I will try if your tips bring some improvement!

Meanwhile, I got a bit used to the hum - it doesn't bother me that much anymore.
Last edited by swissmisfit on 15 Jan 2017, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.