Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nord lead A1 as only hardware synth

Postby Gr8expectations » 10 Jan 2017, 05:36

Hi.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a lead A1. This synth will be my only hardware synth and I intend to use it to replace the vsts I have been using (I just don't really enjoy mouse clicking to program sounds). I'm not an experienced synthesist and that's why I've chosen the A1 over the 4 (I've spent the last few weeks doing my research) . I just want a final check that the Nord lead A1 is the right synth for me. I'm looking for a versatile synth that can do a variety of sounds and has no menu diving to program it. Obviously it should sound good!

Any final words of advice before I click buy?
Gr8expectations

Nord lead A1 as only hardware synth

Sponsor

Re: Nord lead A1 as only hardware synth

Postby starkaudio » 10 Jan 2017, 05:48

I'm in the same boat as you. I own two A1rs. Love them to death. Go for it. :)
starkaudio

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Marlowes » 10 Jan 2017, 12:15

I own one NLA1. It's a keeper! :thumbup:

/Michael
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby Jon Lukas » 12 Jan 2017, 02:10

I've had an A1 for almost two years. I love it and I'm still finding new directions to go. It is very easy to program sounds that react in various creative ways to your playing, making it a very expressive instrument to play.

The only thing I haven't been able to do with it is a really thick, saturated bass sound like I can easily get from the Dave Smith Pro 2 or Moog Sub 37. I haven't tried using all 4 layers to get as fat as possible, so maybe that can be done. I have made some nice bass sounds on the A1, with a pop when you play harder (by using 2 layers) but none of my bass sounds have had such a solid, fat foundation as I can get on my analog or hybrid synths. Maybe analog filter/overdrive is important for those sounds?
Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Wave 2, Pianoteq 8, Keyscape, Omnisphere, NI Komplete, Logic Pro.
Electro-jazz chill: http://echofabric.com
Jon Lukas

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby derrellpiper » 13 Jan 2017, 02:43

The only other thing I'd consider is an Access Virus of some sort - http://www.virus.info/page/render/lang/ ... rview.html

Disclaimer: also have Moog Sub37, Nord Piano 3, and Ableton Push 2.
Last edited by derrellpiper on 14 Jan 2017, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby Gr8expectations » 14 Jan 2017, 23:44

So I got my A1!

Quick question - which cables should I use to connect the A1 to my komplete audio 6 interface?
Gr8expectations

Postby derrellpiper » 15 Jan 2017, 00:34

1/4" TS (1/4" TRS will also work but aren't needed). Best you can buy: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GoldInst10

For the MIDI, use any 5-pin MIDI cable. It's a digital signal so no reason to use anything better than standard shielded MIDI cable. Depending on how you're planning on using it, you'll need at least MIDI Out from the A1 to your DAW and then optionally MIDI In from your Komplete to the A1, if you want to control it from the DAW.

You will give us a review, yes? I have one on order too!
Last edited by derrellpiper on 15 Jan 2017, 00:41, edited 4 times in total.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Postby starkaudio » 16 Jan 2017, 15:51

Gr8expectations wrote:So I got my A1!

Quick question - which cables should I use to connect the A1 to my komplete audio 6 interface?

I agree with derrellpiper, but another option for midi is that you could just use a single USB cable from the computer to the A1.It will provide midi in and out with a single cable and let you use the patch manager if you wish. Back up your sounds and so on. It will also let you upgrade the firmware if needed at a later date.
starkaudio

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby derrellpiper » 17 Jan 2017, 05:13

And starkaudio's right too. That's a USB Type-B "host" cable, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Hi ... pe-b+cable
derrellpiper

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum