This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Running stereo with different sized PA speakers

Postby needs keys » 10 Jan 2017, 22:27

Like many others here I've never been quite satisfied with running the nord in mono, especially for piano, and I've pretty much decided to move to a stereo setup. However, many of my gigs are small to medium type venues so I'm trying to come up with a setup that will be satisfying yet not ridiculous from a setup standpoint.

I play jazz organ trio gigs as well as piano gigs so I assume I will need at least a k10 or dxr-10 to handle the bass duties. Obviously I could just get 2 of them but that seems like it would be overkill for many situations. I was thinking about something lighter such as one of the 8 inch ev zx models to handle the right channel. It doesn't have to be that one but something in the 20-25 lb. range is the idea. The Yamaha dbr-10 might be another possibility as it is in that weight range.

Is anyone here running a similar setup or have an idea if that type of setup would work well? Or, do you think it would be difficult to balance with the right channel sounding weak compared to the left?

Also I want to avoid using a mixer so if that's part of the solution I think I'd rather just use 2 10 inch speakers.

I'm just looking for the simplest stereo setup to get the best sound I can...any ideas are appreciated.
needs keys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Running stereo with different sized PA speakers

Sponsor

Re: Running stereo with different sized PA speakers

Postby cphollis » 11 Jan 2017, 03:08

Having mismatched stereo speakers would drive me nuts, aesthetically speaking. The bass would sound different through speaker 1 than speaker 2, and so on. That's just me, though.

Alternatives to consider?

- A pair of the QSC K8s on poles with the "Deep Bass" switch enabled. It isn't an 18 inch sub, but it will surprise you how much bass you can crank. You'll like the small size and wide dispersion. I love how my pianos and organs sound out of them, but I'm not kicking bass pedals either. A pair of these is not overkill, and you can play full-on electric band gigs and be heard clearly above the din. Two 27 lb units, a pair of poles, maybe a small mixer and cables, and you're good to go.

- The CPS SSv3 paired with a 10" small sub such as the Behringer 1200D-Pro or similar. Amazing surround-sound stereo, great for smaller venues. Takes a bit of fiddling to get an AP sound you like, but it's there. The CPS is a bit heavier to carry, and the Behringer is bulky (not heavy), and it's a bit more fiddly to set up.

I actually use both setups, depending: the QSCs when I'm facing an audience and want to project in a specific direction, and the CPSv3 rig when I want to "surround". I also have a pair of K10s and K12s. Now we're talking overkill :) The 8" EVs don't have enough stones for what I do with bands, but might work for you. Haven't tried pushing their bass, though. I didn't like the DBR10s when I tried them, but you might.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby cphollis » 11 Jan 2017, 03:10

Also wanted to mention, if you're in the USA, it pays to call around to various internet retailers and ask for demos, B-stock and used. I save hundreds of dollars that way.
cphollis

Postby Rusty Mike » 11 Jan 2017, 04:09

I own a K10 and a K8, and will bring one or both depending on the gig. I feel they are voiced similarly enough that the difference is irrelevant. When I use them in stereo, I connect the K10 to the left channel, since the low end of the piano comes out of that channel.

I use small Yorkville speaker stands, which go only to about 5' tall. Yea, the speakers are slightly different in size, but not significant enough to bother anyone, specially me.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby needs keys » 11 Jan 2017, 05:26

Thank you both for the responses.

Do you find the k8's much easier to handle versus the k10's? I know they are only 5 pounds lighter but maybe having a smaller profile also helps. Are there any options lighter than the k8 that are of a similar quality, or does going lighter pretty much mean you are compromising on power and/or clarity?

You both mentioned using poles so I am guessing they are pretty much essential especially if running two 8's...but can the 8's do well without a mixer (I'd be using the electro 5 mostly)?
needs keys

Postby Rusty Mike » 11 Jan 2017, 16:00

The K8 is certainly lighter and easier to carry. A lighter option is the Electro Voice ZXA-1. I've never tried one myself, but others have said that pianos sound wonderful through them. They are lighter than the K8's, but not as loud.

If you are using the speakers as your main live amplification, they need to be up in the air a bit to project out to the audience. You could use a road case, crate or chair if you want, but the stand provides a nice clean look as well as adjustability for the room. If these are for your own monitoring only, it's fine if they are on the floor pointing up at you. Bear in mind the K8 is not shaped to be used as a floor monitor, so you'll have to lean it against something or somehow wedges it to point upward.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby needs keys » 11 Jan 2017, 22:01

At this point I am leaning towards getting two 8" speakers for small gigs, and pressing on with my v1 mackie srm450s for larger gigs. They are heavy old dinosaurs (I got them when they were still made in Italy) but I might as well run them into the ground.

I would love to try the EVs it would be awesome to have something that lightweight. Even if they would just cover solo gigs they would be worthwhile.

I'm also interested in the rcfs but there are lot of different models so it's confusing. Anyone familiar with the 310a, 710a, or the hd ones?
needs keys

Postby cphollis » 12 Jan 2017, 00:32

To help in a few areas?

A pair of K8s is a breeze to carry and put on poles. The K10s are noticeably bulkier and heavier. The K10s are also more directional, and have more authority with bass content.

The EV ZX1s are EV's entry level powered speaker, and the price reflects that. For example, there is no DSP which I have found is a useful feature.

The killer 8" RCF is the TT08a. Very, very pricey but they sound amazing. I have a pair on my wishlist :)
cphollis

Postby needs keys » 13 Jan 2017, 03:12

I get the impression that the ev's sound great but only project a very limited distance.

In order to afford a pair of tt08's I would have to sell my grand piano or b3.

The k8's do seem overpriced, I will definitely wait for a deal on those or the dxr's.
Last edited by needs keys on 13 Jan 2017, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
needs keys

Postby cphollis » 13 Jan 2017, 05:33

Can't go wrong with either, in my book ...
cphollis

Next

Return to General Nord Forum