Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Electro 3 Repair / Replacement Shop

Postby zaletta » 07 Jan 2017, 05:33

Hey everyone.

I was looking to get some opinions from the community on my situation.

My electro 3 works fine with midi, keys, knobs, usb, etc, however the sound is not coming out on the Right Stereo and has static on the Left. Into the repair shop and they have indicated that " board needs to be replaced". From the last hour of searching around i have some to realize that this is a common practice, since component level repair shops are rare (and perhaps rarer still in Canada).

To that end I was hoping maybe some pointers:

- Is there a list of Authorized Service Vendors (by country, etc) available - i see "contact you retailer", but what if they are closed down
- Can the part(MB) be ordered directly from Nord?
- is this a normal lifespan of the MB (4-5 years?) - (if i can expect to have to drop 1K on new MB every 5 years, then its a bit tough to justify repairing :) )

Thanks,
Z
zaletta

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Electro 3 Repair / Replacement Shop

Sponsor

Re: Electro 3 Repair / Replacement Shop

Postby pablomastodon » 07 Jan 2017, 19:30

Hi Zaletta,

FYI, I rec'd your note last night around 10pm and will be responding to you directly with specific info. For the general edification of the forum:

1) there is no list of "Authorized Service Vendors" available. One small company (only ~two dozen people) in Stockholm does not have the time, manpower, or means to evaluate and approve service shops around the planet. This function is delegated to the national distributors in each country, who are better positioned to evaluate service shops for skills, experience and quality, without potential language barriers. Contacting retailer is not a bad idea, especially in instances in which the problem has surfaced within the first 30 days of delivery. But contacting distributor will often be the best route. The Nord website lists national distributors worldwide. Tech support requests submitted on the Nord website are auto-forwarded to the national distributor of the country of origin.

2) national distributorship agreements are exclusive. Nord cannot sell parts directly to any customer anywhere in the world (except Sweden).

3) as time marches on, fewer and fewer service shops are capable of performing component level repairs. This can result in getting shop estimates which are much higher than necessary. As far as longevity goes, there is no predicting when a particular component may choose to fail. Instruments are subjected to a wide variety of real world conditions. Generally speaking, it is never necessary to replace an entire circuit board unless it has suffered some really catastrophic damage, e.g. an organ juice (rich in acid) spill which happened six months ago and was never properly cleaned. From my experience, the most common cause of complete and total death of a circuit board is from having been worked on by someone who was not competent to the task, like the person who explained that he'd never attempted swapping SMD devices on a circuit board before, but watched a couple of youtube vidz which made it look easy, and destroyed a G2X mainboard in the process.

Z, look for my response in your email soon.

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Arjan P » 08 Jan 2017, 02:22

pablomastodon wrote:...unless it has suffered some really catastrophic damage, e.g. an organ juice (rich in acid) spill...

Especially try to avoid spilling Farfisa juice on your B3 and vice versa. Sorry, couldn't resist... :D
Arjan P

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby Mr_-G- » 08 Jan 2017, 12:00

pablomastodon wrote: e.g. an organ juice (rich in acid)

The stomach content? :D
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby pablomastodon » 09 Jan 2017, 19:32

organs on the brain...obviously was supposed to be "orange"

oops
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave