Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Using the 5D 73 as a Controller

Postby sgcustom02 » 06 Jan 2017, 05:24

I'm purchasing a synth next week to complement the Nord. Right now, it looks like it will be the DCI OB-6 ... still deciding about getting the Keyboard or Module version.

Most likely it will be the Module, so my question is:

I won't have to buy a separate controller (for now), so I'll temporarily use the Nord board as a controller via MIDI.

Is it possible to split the 5D board so that 1 side plays an internal Nord Patch and the other side plays an OB-6 patch? :thumbup:

Don
sgcustom02

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Using the 5D 73 as a Controller

Sponsor

Re: Using the 5D 73 as a Controller

Postby harmonizer » 06 Jan 2017, 06:13

You should be able to split the 5D so that only part of it plays a sound internal to the Nord, while the rest is silent (from the Nord perspective). The external module will take the MIDI signal from the 5D, and the external module will have no idea whether the Nord is producing a noise or not when different keys are pressed. If you set up your external module to have a split such that it only produces noises when one of the keys which produces no noises on the Nord is pressed, then this should work.

I do something similar with my Nord Electro 3, where it is possible to split only two different organ setups: I have part of my Electro 3 set up to have a "silent" organ sound (all drawbars down), and the rest set up to produce an organ sound. (The Electro 3 is much more limited in this regard, compared to the Electro 5).

For you, your Nord Electro 5 will not play any OB-6 patch. Your Electro will just be sending note-on and note-off MIDI commands to the external module.

The author harmonizer was thanked by:
sgcustom02
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Re: Using the 5D 73 as a Controller

Postby maxpiano » 06 Jan 2017, 09:46

Read the NE5 manual, MIDI chapter, there is also an example of the setup you want to use.
Last edited by maxpiano on 06 Jan 2017, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by 2 members, including:
sgcustom02pablomastodon
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Electro Forum