General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Forwarding song select messages

Postby BruceV » 02 Jan 2017, 09:07

Sorry to be greedy with 2 posts in one day, I'm right in the middle of setting up my s/w for the new keyboard.

I use song select messages to do a background task. Bit of a long story, the essentials of what I want to do are these:

My control computer generates the message (F3H nnH) and sends it as a MIDI message to the Stage2. I want the stage to simply route it straight through to the MIDI out port, from where it goes to another device that does things.

I've got all this set up on a test rig, and I can't get the song selects to pass through the Stage 2. I can get other messages, such as ND, NU through, so channel etc seem to be OK, it looks like a block on song select. In the MIDI implementation table in the manual it has Xs against both receive and send, I was hoping that unrecognised messages would at least be passed through (and ignored). That doesn't seem to be the case, unfortunately the Nord keyboards don't have a thru port.

Can anyone confirm that this is simply a case of the Nord ignoring and blocking the SS messages, or maybe is there a setting I'm missing? Thanks in advance.
BruceV

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Forwarding song select messages

Sponsor

Re: Forwarding song select messages

Postby Quai34 » 02 Jan 2017, 10:28

I think in the global setting, you have to chech to put the midi out as a midi thru, then all the midi in infos will be routed to the out...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby maxpiano » 02 Jan 2017, 12:40

There is no such a setting in the MIDI of the NS2 and I am afraid that the only alternative is the SoftThru (which can be activated on the Extern Section only) but it does not forward all types of Midi Messages, basically only notes and some CCs; so you should either:

a) reverse the position of the NS and of the "other device that does the thing" (if this one has a Thru port, so that NS will be the last in the MIDI chain) or

b) buy a MIDI Thru box or

c) use 2 distinct connections, example USB MIDI between the PC and the NS and MIDI DIN between PC and the "other device", then manage messages routing on the PC as you need.
Last edited by maxpiano on 02 Jan 2017, 12:54, edited 5 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by 3 members, including:
BruceVpablomastodonMr_-G-
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby BruceV » 06 Jan 2017, 06:51

Thanks, that confirms what I'm seeing. One of oyur suggestions is sure to work. Cheers
BruceV

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord Stage Forum