Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Factory sounds

Postby Al_DeKlein » 04 Jan 2017, 20:54

New to the forum, new to Nord and new to my NE5D-73.

I've been through all of the programs, setlist songs and samples. I don't need 75% of the programs, none of the set list songs, 50% of the samples and definitely not all of the piano samples that are currently loaded into the memory... 2 grands, 2 uprights, 2 rhodes, 2 wurlitzers, 1 CP, 2 harpsichords and 0 DXs is plenty to get started (likely all I need).

My inclination is to clear out the unnecessary setlists, programs and samples to build up the NE5D from the minimum and have memory to add samples as needed down the road.

Question to the forum... am I crazy or on target with my inclination?
Last edited by Al_DeKlein on 04 Jan 2017, 20:56, edited 2 times in total.
Al_DeKlein

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Factory sounds

Sponsor

Re: Factory sounds

Postby pablomastodon » 04 Jan 2017, 21:58

Hi Al,

The instrument is yours -- make it your own. I like to think of these keyboards as somewhat akin to an artist's palette. Load your palette with the colors (sounds) YOU want and need to create YOUR musical painting. All that factory programming will still be there on the Nord website if you should ever want to revisit it.

Bless, Pablo

PS -- and welcome to this forum!
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby dhbp-nord » 04 Jan 2017, 22:06

Exactly right, this is what I have done with my NP2. Using it mostly for 2-3 grands, 2 uprights, 1 DX and a selection of Rhodes. (Clavia's Wurlies and clavs are not to my taste) - I use only the MED size pianos to keep enough room in the piano section, you'll never discern the difference between MED, LG and XL while onstage.

Sample section is loaded with mostly additional pianos that I've found here on this forum - MKS20, RD700, CP80 etc etc. I have my virtual instruments rig for everything else on another keyboard controller.

I keep a local copy of all the Nord Libraries and user samples I can find, so I have it nearby in case I'm in someones' studio and inspiration strikes. Can always back up the contents of the piano at any time.

DH
-Nord Stage 3 88
-Novation SL MKII 61
-Rise 2
-Alesis Q88
-Roland AX-09
-Focusrite 18i20
-ASUS ROG laptop, 32gb, 6 TB SSDs, Win11, Ableton 11, Reaper
-Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian
-Arturia, Komplete, IK suites
-Behringer X18
-StagePas 400i
-EV ZLX-15BT
dhbp-nord

Postby Al_DeKlein » 05 Jan 2017, 14:46

Thanks Pablo and DH.
The reason I got the NE5D is to replace my XK3c clone on the top tier of my gig rig and have a small/light option for a "one keyboard" rehearsal or sit-in gig. I have the piano/clav/harpsichord sounds covered by my PX5S on the lower tier, but now have a lot more top tier sound options up top!
Last edited by Al_DeKlein on 05 Jan 2017, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Al_DeKlein

Postby maxpiano » 05 Jan 2017, 15:09

Al_DeKlein wrote:Thanks Pablo and DH.
The reason I got the NE5D is to replace my XK3c clone on the top tier of my gig rig and have a small/light option for a "one keyboard" rehearsal or sit-in gig. I have the piano/clav/harpsichord sounds covered by my PX5S on the lower tier, but now have a lot more top tier sound options up top!

And maybe an option for better (or at least "different") piano/clav/harpsichords too... try to play the NE5's from the PX5 keyboard (and consider that NE5 is bitimbral...) ;)
Last edited by maxpiano on 05 Jan 2017, 15:24, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Al_DeKlein » 05 Jan 2017, 18:06

That is definitely something I'll be looking into Max... especially for using the PX5S as an external pitch and mod wheel controller.
Al_DeKlein

Postby pablomastodon » 05 Jan 2017, 18:20

Please note: with a 2-kbd rig you may find use for your PX5S' pitch bend with respect to the NE5, but not mod wheel...

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Postby Al_DeKlein » 05 Jan 2017, 18:22

The most efficient way I think to clean out my memory is with the Nord Sound Manager to:
1) Delete all setlist entries ... I dont need any of them.
2) Scroll through the programs on the NE5D and delete in the NSM the ones I do not want.
3) Scroll through the Samples on the NE5D and delete in the NSM the ones I do not want.

I think this process will get me prompts in the NSM at each step that I am deleting a something that is in use... am I correct in rmy thought process?
Last edited by Al_DeKlein on 05 Jan 2017, 23:12, edited 2 times in total.
Al_DeKlein

Postby pablomastodon » 05 Jan 2017, 21:33

Hi Al,

Please note that NSM does not actually contain anything. It is a window into the internal memory of your instrument and a means via which to manipulate that internal memory.

Not clear what you mean by "do a bulk upload"...? There's NO reason to upload setlist entries, those are just provided as illustrative examples. No reason to upload programs before deleting. You may wish to upload samples before deleting, but not really necessary since 1) they are all always available on the Nord website, and 2) they are included in Complete Factory Backup file, also available on Nord website.

Yes, the program will ask for confirmation before deleting anything important.

Bless, Pablo

PS - note also that deleted programs will completely disappear from the display -- you won't even see the empty space they used to occupy -- until and unless you engage the ORGANIZE icon in NSM -- then you'll see the empty locations.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Postby Quai34 » 06 Jan 2017, 01:18

Hi,
I did the opposite with my Stage 2. As I tought that the factory sounds were really good but didn't know which one will be usefull, I just created specific program for each song we play and saved them in the emptied locations of the Stage 2. Meanwhile, I was learning how to use the stage 2 and what it was capable of. Consequently, now, I'm more inclined to use the factory presets because I have a better idea on how it will sound in a cover (Knowing that you will never be able to recreate the studio version in a live situation). As I have a C2, I deleted all the Organ programs for example...So, actually, I still have a lot of factory sounds and use them quite a lot, without compromising the creativity that usually comes with new sounds (You hear a sound and you think about a song that could fit...). Finally, the question is: Why would you like to delete some factory presets if you don't need the room immediately, just do it one by one when really you need the space for a specific sound/program/sample. Just my 2 cents.
Sincerely
Last edited by Quai34 on 06 Jan 2017, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Next

Return to Nord Electro Forum