This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

New user question about samples

Postby maestrosteve » 05 Jan 2017, 07:52

I've been a Kurzweil user for years and have a collection of Kurzweil keyboards and rack modules. I have a Stage 2 EX on order, looking forward to getting it.
I have many Kurzweil sample CDs. I regularly use many of them, but there are 2 or 3 samples that I would love to have in the Stage 2 if it is possible.
They are in .KRZ format. Is it possible, maybe with a 3rd party sample converter, to convert these samples into something that will load into the Stage 2 EX?
I can't find anything thru google searches, so maybe someone here knows what I can do.

Thanks.

Looking forward to being here often.

Steve
maestrosteve

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

New user question about samples

Sponsor

Re: New user question about samples

Postby maxpiano » 05 Jan 2017, 09:28

There are some sample conversion tools, such as CDXtract http://www.soundlib.com/cdxtract/ or Awave Studio http://www.fmjsoft.com/awavestudio.html that can handle Kurz samples.

You cannot convert them directly into .nsmp anyway, you need first to convert .krz in .wav files (1 per sample) and then use the Nord Sound Editor to build your .nsmp version of it.

Another important thing to consider is that .nsmp is monolayer while Kurzweil samples may be multilayer, so in those cases you need to make a compromise and select which .krz layer you want to use.
Last edited by maxpiano on 05 Jan 2017, 09:33, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby maestrosteve » 05 Jan 2017, 22:24

Maxpiano,

Thanks for chiming in and responding. I saw those 2 programs doing a google search, but since I'm a Mac user, neither of those will work for me.

I have one particular amazing vocal sample/sound that I load where I've never heard anything come close, not even the Kurzweil Take 6 vocal samples,
which I already have in my other keyboard.
I'm sure you are right about the multilayers. It probably applies to the great Timpani sample that I have. As a last resort, I might have to get them the old fashioned way,
record them and get them into the sample editor, although I don't feel that I can get them as good as the original version.

Steve
maestrosteve

Postby pablomastodon » 06 Jan 2017, 00:53

Check out the Nord youtube vid on xylophone sampling for brief overview. To capture you vocal. timpani and other samples, you may wish to create multiple copies of the same generic midi sequence playing notes in your chosen interval, with the velocities normalized to each of the various Kurzweil layers. That way, you'll still have access to it all even after you no longer have the Kurzweil.

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby maestrosteve » 06 Jan 2017, 01:10

Thanks Pablo.

I saw that exact video, and it's because of that video that I even think I have a chance at making this happen.

Good idea about the multiple copies, but I have 4 Kurzweil keyboards and a Kurzweil K2VP Rack, so I will always have those samples to load
(backed up to multiple magneto optical drives) for when I need them.
All my Kurzweil keyboards are 61 notes. I had a 5th Kurzweil that I just sold that was 76 notes, but it weighed twice as much as my 61 note boards which is more than I want to
carry these days. I'm not getting any younger.
That's one reason for me getting a Nord Stage 2 EX. A lightweight, top quality instrument that loads samples. I don't use many stock built-in sounds and I tweak everything.

Steve
maestrosteve

Postby maxpiano » 06 Jan 2017, 08:56

maestrosteve wrote:Maxpiano,

Thanks for chiming in and responding. I saw those 2 programs doing a google search, but since I'm a Mac user, neither of those will work for me.

I have one particular amazing vocal sample/sound that I load where I've never heard anything come close, not even the Kurzweil Take 6 vocal samples,
which I already have in my other keyboard.
I'm sure you are right about the multilayers. It probably applies to the great Timpani sample that I have. As a last resort, I might have to get them the old fashioned way,
record them and get them into the sample editor, although I don't feel that I can get them as good as the original version.

Steve

Well Steve, as you said then you can just go "the old fashioned way" ;-) but.... don't forget that Windows can run also on a Mac (in Dual Boot using Bootcamp or in a Virtual Machine such as VirtualBox or last not least using ParallelsDesktop) 8-)
Last edited by maxpiano on 06 Jan 2017, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby maestrosteve » 06 Jan 2017, 09:04

I have tried running certain music programs that grab the ports, and the only way to run these kinds of programs trouble-free is to use Bootcamp because then the computer does become a real Windows computer.

I downloaded one of those demo Windows programs last night that is supposed to translate krz to a wav file, and couldn't get it to work while using Crossover. I've also tried VirtualBox with Windows 10 and ran into issues with other music programs, but you are certainly correct about using Bootcamp.
maestrosteve

Postby maxpiano » 06 Jan 2017, 09:17

Strange, I have been using WinXP on Virtual Box to run an editor for an old master keyboard I owned (Edirol PCR M80) and it was working, including communication over USB. But of course it requires some configuration so, I agree, Bootcamp is the safest ad easier option.
Last edited by maxpiano on 06 Jan 2017, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby maestrosteve » 06 Jan 2017, 09:39

Glad to hear VirtualBox works for you. For me, it's hit or miss. With VirtualBox I can use Finale with midi, the ports are active, and yet it didn't work for me when I tried the sample translator program. I have another piece of electronic equipment that is supposed to get updated with a Windows updater, and will only work with Bootcamp and not Virtualbox, Parallels or any of the other similar software, so they are not without issues. I'm guessing that most people use those programs for a lot more normal stuff than I do.
maestrosteve

Return to General Nord Forum