Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Howto connect the NP3 to a PC

Postby Rajivrocks » 29 Dec 2016, 22:44

Hi guys I just got my NP3 Yesterday, I am kinda meh about it at the moment have played 13 years on a yamaha upright and wanted something for in my room. but the action of the NP3 is pretty heavy and it makes allot of noise when pressing down a key. Keep in mind I am using open headphones (sennheiser HD6XX's from a massdrop). but that isn't why I am here for just wanted to give a bit of backstory. So I am using Midi over USB and I installed all the drivers. I tried synthesia as a test but the program sees my NP3's MIDI driver but when I have to press the lowest and highest notes so that the program knows how many keys I have it does nothing meaning It doesn't detect anything. I have seen a few youtubers with Nord Stage 2 EX 88 and a Nord Piano 3 and when they'd livestream the sound sounds exactly like what you are playing and I am looking for that. I might want to start recording some stuff to and maybe practice a bit via PC because printing sheets every time is a pain in the A**. if ANYONE could help me I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Rajiv.
Rajivrocks

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Howto connect the NP3 to a PC

Sponsor

Re: Howto connect the NP3 to a PC

Postby maxpiano » 30 Dec 2016, 09:17

USB transmits only MIDI data, which you can record an playback to the NP3 using a sequencer (or the sequencer part of a DAW software); but if instead what you want is to record the NP3 audio, to use it in a video or anythnig else, you need an audio interface and connect the NP3 L/R audio outputs to it then record the audio using audio tracks of a DAW (Logic, Cubase, Reaper, etc...) or at least an audio recording program (e.g. Audacity)
Last edited by maxpiano on 30 Dec 2016, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Rajivrocks » 03 Jan 2017, 20:38

Yes thanks for the reply, I figured it out a few days ago. Looking for a good audio interface. question though. A youtuber I like told me he leaves the headphones in the piano instead of putting it in the interface because of latency while livestreaming /playing in general . this doesn't matter right you only need to make sure the levels are alright before recording/livestreaming and then you can just play and assume everything you hear on the piano is transmitted to the interface because you're using the L/R channels.

Thanks again for the reply.
Rajivrocks

Postby maxpiano » 04 Jan 2017, 11:00

Most good audio interfaces support direct (zero latency) HW monitoring too, so if you buy a valid product you can also have the headphones plugged in it and you can hear the full mix of NP and PC sounds.
Last edited by maxpiano on 04 Jan 2017, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Rajivrocks » 04 Jan 2017, 21:09

"good audio interfaces" could you refer a few good ones? I have no idea what price range/brand is considered good.
Rajivrocks

Postby dhbp-nord » 04 Jan 2017, 22:09

Scarlett
M-Audio
MOTU
and others, all have a range of products - may come down to how many concurrent, live inputs/outputs you need.

Do some reading on USB and Thunderbolt interfaces too, there are pros and cons (and prices differences) there.

DH
-Nord Stage 3 88
-Novation SL MKII 61
-Rise 2
-Alesis Q88
-Roland AX-09
-Focusrite 18i20
-ASUS ROG laptop, 32gb, 6 TB SSDs, Win11, Ableton 11, Reaper
-Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian
-Arturia, Komplete, IK suites
-Behringer X18
-StagePas 400i
-EV ZLX-15BT
dhbp-nord

Postby Rajivrocks » 05 Jan 2017, 21:29

Okay, I have been doing my research on Scarlett a few days before posting this and I ended up thinking about buying the 6i6 but I wasn't sure if it would drive my headphones well enough I think I am gonna try it in store before buying it. also I don't a thunderbolt port well I do on my laptop but that is thunderbolt 3. anyways thanks for the advice.
Rajivrocks

Postby dhbp-nord » 05 Jan 2017, 22:23

Roland just this week released a new line of USB interfaces as well.

https://ask.audio/articles/roland-unvei ... interfaces

DH
-Nord Stage 3 88
-Novation SL MKII 61
-Rise 2
-Alesis Q88
-Roland AX-09
-Focusrite 18i20
-ASUS ROG laptop, 32gb, 6 TB SSDs, Win11, Ableton 11, Reaper
-Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian
-Arturia, Komplete, IK suites
-Behringer X18