This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Nord Stage 3 for Christmas?

Postby Gambold » 29 Dec 2016, 19:13

>still very competitive in the current market.<

Anyone have any links on how these companies (Nord, Roland, Korg, Kawai, etc) are actually doing relative to each other? Or any kind of sales info? It's very hard to fine with privates....awhile back a few pals and I were trying to find similar information for Gibson and Fender - we failed.
Gambold

Sponsor

Postby Spider » 31 Dec 2016, 19:11

Gambold wrote:>still very competitive in the current market.<

Anyone have any links on how these companies (Nord, Roland, Korg, Kawai, etc) are actually doing relative to each other? Or any kind of sales info? It's very hard to fine with privates....awhile back a few pals and I were trying to find similar information for Gibson and Fender - we failed.

What do you mean? How many Stages are sold against how many Kronos or Montage etc?

Not surprising you don't find that info, companies have no reason to disclose that. It would give away precious information to competitors, and it's overall a bad marketing move.

Besides, it makes little sense. A small company like Nord, selling very high-margin products, needs much lower numbers to be profitable compared to huge corporations like Korg or Roland.
So Nord is probably making more profit from selling relatively few Stages, than Yamaha from selling thousands and thousands of Motifs.
But then again, Yamaha can afford lower margins because of economies of scale and its huge range of other products.

So it's really an apple-to-oranges comparison, no real point in looking at sales numbers to determine the most "successful" company.
Nord is quite clearly very happy with how its sales are going, feels no need to rush in new products, and that's just about all we can say.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Gambold » 31 Dec 2016, 22:42

>How many Stages are sold against how many Kronos or Montage etc<

Actually I was thinking more general, like market share - and if that's rising or falling over the past few years. That's usually a good indicator of how a company is doing. If market share is stable or rising, great - if it's falling, not so great.
Gambold

Postby analogika » 02 Jan 2017, 20:41

It's actually not that relevant, since Clavia works on completely different economies than a company like Korg or Yamaha.

The market isn't that big, so rather than try and cut costs and increase output by going to China, Clavia stays local, with only around thirty employees, total. Everybody knows everybody and their families, and the order books are filled, years into the future.

As long as they are selling everything they can make, and every employee can keep their family well-fed, why care about market share?
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Gambold » 02 Jan 2017, 22:21

>the order books are filled, years into the future. As long as they are selling everything they can make<

Well then you appear to have information that is not readily available to anyone else. I haven't seen anything online that reveals Clavia's order books years into the future, or their supply-demand ratios.

But your information, presuming it is authentic, supports what I was asking for - if sales are steady (or increasing) year by year, then yes, the company is healthy. If they are falling (market share, no matter how small, is a relevant metric), then the company is struggling.

May I modestly inquire about your source?
Gambold

Postby analogika » 02 Jan 2017, 23:16

Gambold wrote:>the order books are filled, years into the future. As long as they are selling everything they can make<

Well then you appear to have information that is not readily available to anyone else. I haven't seen anything online that reveals Clavia's order books years into the future, or their supply-demand ratios.

But your information, presuming it is authentic, supports what I was asking for - if sales are steady (or increasing) year by year, then yes, the company is healthy. If they are falling (market share, no matter how small, is a relevant metric), then the company is struggling.

May I modestly inquire about your source?

Market share is NOT relevant if you're operating on a small number of devices. It's a bit like the Apple situation: As long as market presence and absolute numbers are high enough to drive additional sales via word-of-mouth, it is completely irrelevant what PERCENTAGE of total devices that constitutes.

If you're selling as many products as you can make and people have to, in fact, wait for you to deliver, and you're making money: you're set. Regardless of whether someone else is selling more of a different product.
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
analogika

Postby Gambold » 02 Jan 2017, 23:50

Ok we don't have to debate that point. But I would love your source for Clavia's sales orders. I presume there is a source for statements like "selling as many products as you can make" etc.
Last edited by Gambold on 02 Jan 2017, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Gambold

Postby analogika » 03 Jan 2017, 02:15

I was talking to a source internal to Clavia at a trade show a while ago and got a pretty good idea of how they think.
analogika

Postby Rajivrocks » 03 Jan 2017, 20:32

I recently (the 27th) bought NP3 and when NAMM is at 19-22nd of january, if they announce the Stage 3 and it comes in a reasonable time span lets say 3-5 months I'll send my NP3 back to the store and wait for the stage 3. That is if they make any major changes. like better ployphonics. or a better keyboard action.
Rajivrocks

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby Gambold » 03 Jan 2017, 22:13

If there is going to be a Stage 3 (and it would be a little early for one...didn't Stage 2EX come out in 2015?) Who knows, we may see a completely new board!
Gambold

PreviousNext

Return to General Nord Forum