Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

quarter tone for some specific notes

Postby violonist » 28 Dec 2016, 13:47

Hello my friend , I would like to buy a piano and I am searching and I need this capability in my piano in order to decide. I want to ask you who have Nord pianos/stages. Is there any possibility to tune a specific note (for example note A) with -50 cent and keep all other notes unchanged? For example in Turkish or Persian songs this is a must. I read the Nord manual and is said it is possible to tune -50 to +50 but I think it means for all notes. I want to keep all note unchanged apart from all A keys tuned quarter tone. Thank you if you could just say if it is possible or not.
violonist

quarter tone for some specific notes

Sponsor

Re: quarter tone for some specific notes

Postby Berretje » 28 Dec 2016, 14:42

Hi,

That settings is for the whole instrument.
If you would sample a piano and transpose the individual notes in an audio editor and then upload them using the Nord Sample Editor. It might work.
Never tried this though.

Gr
Bart
Last edited by Berretje on 28 Dec 2016, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper

The author Berretje was thanked by:
violonist
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Mr_-G- » 28 Dec 2016, 15:55

The resampling suggested by Berretje might work (I did a reversed keyboard some time ago, uploaded somewhere in this forum), but you will end up with a single layer sample, and it will sound nowhere near the original multi-layered piano. It will be a lot of work too.
I think you need to look into another instrument that supports this kind of note by note tuning. I think the Kurzweils supported this, not sure.
Pitch bend tricks (like intercepting a MIDI stream and output the corresponding of a quarter tone down as pitch bend control when you press an A) would work for monophonic lines, not polyphonic ones.

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
violonist
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby harmonizer » 28 Dec 2016, 16:54

A Roland XV synth can do this - I have used a +50 cent or -50 cent adjustment to a specific note in the scale of just one part, in a multi-part performance (a "Performance" on a Roland XV can have up to 16 parts).

I did not do this to actually produce a pitch that was not one of the 12 tones in the Western scale. Instead I did this to reduce the number of separate parts I needed to use within a single "Performance". There are some songs where I make multi-note chord sounds in my XV synth by pressing a single key on a footpedal MIDI controller, and for one part I needed to "invoke" pitches that were only a half step apart when pressing two "white keys" that are usually two half steps apart. I was able to shift a single entire part by 50 cents, and then apply per-note shifts against the two notes of +50 cents and -50 cents. This reduced by one the number of parts I needed to use, so I could squeeze in under the 16 part limit of a single "Performance".

I would be very confident that the successor to the XV, the Roland Fantom line, can also do this. I am not sure if Roland's latest synths can do this or not.

The author harmonizer was thanked by:
violonist
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby maurus » 29 Dec 2016, 00:17

Higher end Kawais such as the MP7 or the MP11 can do a tuning for individual keys too.

Such a custom/microtuning option for .npno sounds is on my wish list for the Nords since a long time. This would be, for some, a musically highly valuable feature.

The author maurus was thanked by 2 members, including:
violonistMr_-G-
maurus

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum