This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Simple MIDI question

Postby cheopsnet » 13 Dec 2016, 03:53

Hi guys,

Very simple question: Say you have your Nord Stage 2 and a synth module, both going via Audio into Ableton Live. How to (1) play the synth module with the Nord's keyboard AND (2) clock-sync some of the synth's parameters to the Ableton session's tempo? A practical example would be playing a pad with an oscillator synced to the tempo.

My idea would be to use the following MIDI cabling:
MIDI OUT of computer soundcard into MIDI IN of Nord Stage2
MIDI OUT of Nord Stage 2 into MIDI IN Synth module
>> Would that work?

Since I am contemplating buying either the module (i.e. no keyboard) or full version of a synth (Dave Smith Prophet 6), I cannot verify with my current gear, hence the question.

Thanks,
Louis
cheopsnet

Simple MIDI question

Sponsor

Re: Simple MIDI question

Postby pablomastodon » 13 Dec 2016, 06:41

Hi cheopsnet,

The Ableton clock data appearing at the Nord's midi input will NOT be echo'd to the Nord's midi output and your module would not see it in that scenario. Similarly, the Nord will not transmit its own internal clock. To accomplish that scenario I believe you will need to merge the Ableton clock output with the NS2's midi output and feed the merged data stream to the DS module.

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to General Nord Forum