Where to demo Nord piano 3

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards.
asandel
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 3

Where to demo Nord piano 3

Post by asandel »

I'm having a real hard time finding Nord products specially the Nord Piano 3..... I live in Northern New Jersey and have tried all the usually places ...GC, Sam Ash, Alto Music ...Any help would be greatly appreciated .. Thanks, Andy
jfenton
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Re: Where to demo Nord piano 3

Post by jfenton »

Seems like finding any Nord Product in a local music store is difficult these days. When I bought my NS2 EX Compact, I had to demo a NS2 88 and then trust that I would like the action on the NS2EX Compact when I bought it. About the only thing else I could find Demos for were older Electro 4 products.

I live in the Portland Oregon area.

Welcome to the digital age.
Last edited by jfenton on 28 Nov 2016, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
Keyboards:
  • NS2 EX Compact 73
  • Hammond SK2
  • Roland VCombo VR-09
  • Roland A800-Pro
  • Behringer Motor 49
  • Alesis Q88
asandel
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 3

Post by asandel »

Jfenton ..how do you like the action on your NS2 EX Compact ...
emartin149

Post by emartin149 »

>Seems like finding any Nord Product in a local music store is difficult these days.<

I would argue impossible. I've never seen them anywhere, and I live near Chicago. Guitar Center and Sam Ash don't have them, and neither do the boutique shops.

Of course, it's impossible to find a Yamaha CP4 or a Hammond SK1 either. Unlike high-end guitars, high-end keyboards just don't have the market to justify stocking them in showrooms.
jackdwosh

Post by jackdwosh »

Totally agree with that. I live near Philadelphia and same here- no brick and mortar stores to "try out" Nord Piano 3 or Yamaha CP4 (exactly my two alternatives). Basically spent 6 months researching on line and reading everything I could on on- line forums like Nord User Forum (a great site by the way). Wound up ordering NP3 on line from a big midwest retailer with (written) assurances that I could return it in 30 days postage paid if I wasn't total happy with it (needless to say -I kept it). Also saves sale tax (not inconsequential on a 3000 item). Not sure how a Sam Ash or G.C. will survive in the future with this level of retail competition.
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Post by cphollis »

I've just learned to accept reality. You buy on faith, and return if it doesn't work out. The economics of our industry means that every year, there will be fewer music stores where we can go to play these instruments before purchase. It is what it is. I've learned to adapt.

Head to head: NP 3 vs. Yamaha CP4 -- not a fair fight. Although there might be other factors that influence your decision :)
Last edited by cphollis on 02 Dec 2016, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
I think I have gear issues ....
emartin149

Post by emartin149 »

Yes, shipping has undergone something of a revolution since the good old days (when everything was 10-14 days away). Now if you don't like something, just box it up and return it - and most of the time your shipping is covered both ways. Just never throw out any of the packaging until you know it's a keeper!

I bought a Nord because of an article in Keyboard magazine - I was ready to upgrade from my sub-$1000 Privia and they had the opinions of about a dozen pro players - and many of them recommended an Electro for someone in my situation. It was a whole new, amazing world for me and now over a year later, there are still features I'm learning.
Last edited by emartin149 on 02 Dec 2016, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
AlexVA

Post by AlexVA »

I was in the same boat as you, went to all the big box retailers close to me, and no one had anything Nord to play. There also aren't really any detailed reviews online to find out more about it in terms of real life experience with it, how it feels, and how satisfied with it people are overall.
Nord Piano 3 | Korg Triton Extreme 88
NewNordPlayer
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Post by NewNordPlayer »

If you live near the Washington metro area, you are in luck! When I went there, Chuck Levin's Washington Music in Wheaton, MD had a Nord Piano 3 on the showroom floor along with a Nord Stage 2, Electro 5 HP, Electro 5D, CD2 and more. I played the Nord Piano 3 for an hour and ended up taking one home. I've had it for about a week and really love it. I'll write a review after I've played with it a little longer. So far, I haven't had any of the problems that have been reported by others. FYI: My profile says that I own a Nord Piano 2. That is wrong. I selected it because a Nord Piano 3 was not yet in the select list, so it was the closest to what I actually have.
Last edited by NewNordPlayer on 10 Dec 2016, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author NewNordPlayer for the post:
mi-ji