This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Which one should I go for?

You may select 1 option

View results

Stage 2 or Electro 5

Postby Klalter » 06 Nov 2016, 20:09

Hey guys,

so I'm planning to buy a Nord Keyboard soon, and I'm totally amazed of what quality of sound they are able to produce. But I don't know yet what model I'll go for. Until a few days ago, I was quite sure I'd go for an Electro 5 73 (Not sure yet if HP) but now I found a used Stage 2 76 (not EX) online for 500€ more including Pedal and original Nord carrying case (I would have bought those seperately (to be exact, probably not the official case but whatever)). I am really into Keyboards and am willing to use the features of the Stage, but the thing is that I'm quite unsure which model I like better. I thought I'd share my preferences of both models with you guys, it would be great if you could help me out with the decision!

• I like the manual organ drawer bars on the electro, I don't know how the digital ones on the Stage are... But that's kind of a minor issue
  • Since I was planning to play also lead synth on the Keyboard, I love the Pitch and Mod wheels on the stage, with the Electro I would have connected a MIDI Pitch Bend
  • The thing that concerns me most about the Stage is that it only has 512MB of piano sample memory, but as a newbie to Nord keyboards I can't tell how much of a difference this makes
  • Does the Stage 2 have the possibility to connect the half-moon switch? and are there any downsides apart from the memory to the Electro?
  • How do the Keys differ? I have played just once on a Stage 2, but I have no idea what to expect from the waterfall keys...

Please share your experiences with both of these Keyboards with me, I'd be really happy if you guys can help me

Thanks in advance!
Klalter

Stage 2 or Electro 5

Sponsor

Re: Stage 2 or Electro 5

Postby Spider » 07 Nov 2016, 02:46

For that price, go for the Stage2. It runs circles around the Electro in any area of the instrument (synth section, effects, multitimbrality, splits and layers, morphing, extern section, pitch bend and mod wheel...), and the smaller piano memory is not a big issue. You can load different sizes of piano samples, and anyway it's unlikely you'll need 10 XL size pianos.
You cannot mount the half moon switch (but the sustain pedal can double as a Leslie speed switch, or you can have a separate pedal switch for Leslie).

As for the keys, the Stage2 76 has the fully weighted HA action. It is MUCH better than the HP of the Electro for playing piano, and a more than acceptable compromise for organ and synth.

Unless you play mainly organ, get the Stage.

The author Spider was thanked by:
Klalter
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby jfenton » 07 Nov 2016, 03:04

And if you play organ, Stage 2 73 with semi weighted keys is good too.
Keyboards:
  • NS2 EX Compact 73
  • Hammond SK2
  • Roland VCombo VR-09
  • Roland A800-Pro
  • Behringer Motor 49
  • Alesis Q88

The author jfenton was thanked by:
Klalter
jfenton
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby GeeDeWee » 07 Nov 2016, 14:17

Personality I like the digital drawbars. They are always showing what you are hearing.
And I don't find 512 MB a problem.
I would get the Stage.

The author GeeDeWee was thanked by:
Klalter
GeeDeWee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby emartin149 » 07 Nov 2016, 16:00

Last edited by emartin149 on 07 Nov 2016, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
emartin149

Postby Duplobaustein » 07 Nov 2016, 23:36

Klalter wrote:[*]Since I was planning to play also lead synth on the Keyboard, I love the Pitch and Mod wheels on the stage, with the Electro I would have connected a MIDI Pitch Bend

I don't think NE recognizes pitch bend!

The author Duplobaustein was thanked by:
Klalter
Duplobaustein

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Postby harmonizer » 08 Nov 2016, 21:45

The Stage 2 is more flexible in allowing keyboard splits. I have an Electro 3, and I miss not having a pitch bend (my previous keyboard did have pitch bend). I suggest getting the Stage.

The author harmonizer was thanked by:
Klalter
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby williehackitt » 10 Nov 2016, 19:01

Hi being an ex Hammond player i couldnt get used to the digital drawbars they are not as pricise as i needed so i went for the 5d and love it just my humble opinion

The author williehackitt was thanked by:
Klalter
williehackitt

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX

Postby Klalter » 26 Nov 2016, 13:12

Thank you guys for your opinions! I will probably go for the Stage...

- CLOSED - :thanks:
Klalter

Return to General Nord Forum