General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Midi setup help.

Postby AleksanderZ » 20 Nov 2016, 18:27

Hello!

I want to make a set up, but i don't know if it's possible or what i'm doing wrong.
I have Nord stage 2 and axiom midi keyboard and i would like to achive that sometimes i have both synths on midi keyboard and sometimes one on midi and one on Nord.
I assigned both synths A and B to CH2 to play them with midi, because sometimes I have to switch fast from brass/strings while playing piano on the nord and i do it with expression pedal.
But now i have problem if i want to use synth B on midi keyboard and synth A on Nord only, because no matter how i split and assign KB zones or even if i use Dual KB, on midi keyboard still both synths are playing.

I hope it's not too confusing and somebody would be able to help me.

Thanks!
AleksanderZ

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Midi setup help.

Sponsor

Re: Midi setup help.

Postby jfenton » 20 Nov 2016, 23:14

Assign A and B on different channels. Then use the global channel (yet another channel) to play both synths and only the assigned B channel if you only want to play on B.

For instance if Synth A is 2 ans B is 3 and global is 12.
You can use channel 3 to play syth b only from the external keyboard, Channel 2 to play synth a only and channel 12 to play both.

I assume of course you can re-assign midi channels using you axiom midi keyboard. If not, then either check out Bome Midi Translator software or look for another external keyboard.

Alternatively you can assign a channel for dual keyboard and when selected only the dual keyboard assigned external synth will play on channel b.

Another tip, make sure you do not assign the same channel for any instruments or slots.

Here is how I have my slots and instruments assigned. I use slots 1-3 for my Hammond SK2
I use channel 13 for anything I want to send to my translator software and then let it do the heavy lifting from there.
I still have channel 14 and 15 that I am not using for anything.

Ch 4 - Slot A - All enabled Instruments
Ch 5 - Slot B - All enabled Instruments
Ch 6 - Organ A
Ch 7 - Piano A
Ch 8 - Synth A
Ch 9 - Organ B
Ch 10 - Piano B
Ch 11 - Synth B
Ch 12 - Global - Everything that is enabled
Ch 16 - Dual KB - Slot B=Lower
Last edited by jfenton on 20 Nov 2016, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
Keyboards:
  • NS2 EX Compact 73
  • Hammond SK2
  • Roland VCombo VR-09
  • Roland A800-Pro
  • Behringer Motor 49
  • Alesis Q88

The author jfenton was thanked by:
AleksanderZ
jfenton
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby AleksanderZ » 22 Nov 2016, 12:08

Thanks for replay.
I finally managed somehow, thanks to your idea of changing Ch on axiom and using Dual KB on different Ch.

So i had to assign both synths A and B on Ch 1 so i can use them simultaneously on midi. If i used Global Ch then also piano was played on Midi keyboard.
Then i assigned Dual Kb on Ch 2 so then i can use synth A on Nord and synth B on midi.
Works for me now :D
Thanks again
AleksanderZ

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby jfenton » 22 Nov 2016, 19:00

Glad we could help!
Keyboards:
  • NS2 EX Compact 73
  • Hammond SK2
  • Roland VCombo VR-09
  • Roland A800-Pro