Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Headphones sound from Scarlett vs NP2

Postby SupiGagliardi » 15 Nov 2016, 05:31

JustPianoGuy wrote:With Ableton this is the correct setup:

The "In" option should be active to hear live feedback. The channel is set to 1/2 which automatically takes channel 1 and 2 to make a stereo sound. Or you can also have 2 separate channel for each input, but one must be hard paned left and the other hard paned right.

Hmm I see, this is what my audio channel look like on Ableton.

https://gyazo.com/829750e5063ba0ed81e9998a83ae721e
SupiGagliardi

Sponsor

Postby hernan1304 » 28 Nov 2016, 03:41

First, make sure your inputs are set to LINE, turn OFF the 48v switch, and adjust the gain so that it's the same on both channels and the LED is not turning red (indicating clipping).

If you want to listen through your speakers:
- when using your DAW (Ableton, etc), switch direct monitoring to OFF and make sure your DAW is set to output its sound back to the Scarlett (use a 1+2 stereo configuration for the inputs).
- when not using your DAW and you just want to play, close your DAW (or turn off its output) and switch direct monitoring to ON.

If you want to listen through your headphones:
- when using your DAW, switch direct monitoring to OFF and make sure your DAW is set to output its sound back to the Scarlett (use a 1+2 stereo configuration for the inputs).
- when not using your computer and you just want to play, forget about the Scarlett and just hook your headphones up to the Nord directly (since it seems the 2i2 can't be set to stereo directly).

If you've tried everything, I would also consider the possibility that your Scarlett's headphone amp may be faulty, especially if everything sounds fine on your speakers.
Last edited by hernan1304 on 28 Nov 2016, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
hernan1304

Postby AlexVA » 04 Dec 2016, 23:56

I have a scarlett 2i2 and I never use direct monitoring -- it sounds terrible as you're describing. I run the keyboard > 2i2 > Logic > then listen to the keyboard from Logic > 2i2 > speakers/headphones. I use software monitoring on the track in logic, not direct hardware monitoring.
Nord Piano 3 | Korg Triton Extreme 88
AlexVA

Postby Rajivrocks » 03 Jan 2017, 20:54

I read over this post quickly and I think I have an answer for you if you still need it, I was looking for an interface too and I stumbled across the scarlett and I did ALLOT of digging because I got a pretty high end pair of headphones (HD650's Massdrop X sennheiser version) and I came to the conclusion that the scarlett 2i2 atleast and the 2i4 have very low impedance ratings so it is never gonna sound as good as if you plugged the headphones straight into the Piano. I am in no way an expert on audio equipment I am pretty much a noob but I am a 100 percent sure that is the reason. People online said that the headphone port on the 2i2 and 2i4 were very weak and not that good. Also I think the 2 front ports are meant for mics and guitars not for dual channel audio. I mean they are both separate channels. so they are not meant to be used for the one as a right and the other one as a left input but I could be wrong about that. but I was looking at the 6i6 a few days back and that one has line inputs on the back and I think you are supposed to plug the piano L/R in those. and leave the front ones clear.
Rajivrocks

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby hernan1304 » 17 Jan 2017, 04:26

I just returned my Scarlett 6i6 because the sound from the monitors was slightly worse (sounded compressed) than running the NP3 straight to the monitors.
hernan1304

Postby SupiGagliardi » 02 Feb 2017, 17:40

Rajivrocks wrote:I read over this post quickly and I think I have an answer for you if you still need it, I was looking for an interface too and I stumbled across the scarlett and I did ALLOT of digging because I got a pretty high end pair of headphones (HD650's Massdrop X sennheiser version) and I came to the conclusion that the scarlett 2i2 atleast and the 2i4 have very low impedance ratings so it is never gonna sound as good as if you plugged the headphones straight into the Piano. I am in no way an expert on audio equipment I am pretty much a noob but I am a 100 percent sure that is the reason. People online said that the headphone port on the 2i2 and 2i4 were very weak and not that good. Also I think the 2 front ports are meant for mics and guitars not for dual channel audio. I mean they are both separate channels. so they are not meant to be used for the one as a right and the other one as a left input but I could be wrong about that. but I was looking at the 6i6 a few days back and that one has line inputs on the back and I think you are supposed to plug the piano L/R in those. and leave the front ones clear.

Yes, I've noticed that too, I have the HD 650 now. If you are looking for a good amp for your headphones, i'd recommend the Schitt Magni 2, it costs around 120usd, one of the best headphone amps you could get at that price.
SupiGagliardi

Postby KyleM » 03 Feb 2017, 20:18

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600 and a Focusrite 6i6 and had a similar experience with volume levels, I think it's because you need a decent amp to use with the Sennhiesers to drive them. 300ohm. But my solution was a bit of a workaround. I ran out of the Focusrite outs (not headphone jack) and from that into auxiliary input of a small Alto mixing board. Then I hooked my headphones up to the mixing boards' headphone jack and voila. Plenty of volume and good sound.
KyleM

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby SupiGagliardi » 05 Feb 2017, 18:55

KyleM wrote:I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600 and a Focusrite 6i6 and had a similar experience with volume levels, I think it's because you need a decent amp to use with the Sennhiesers to drive them. 300ohm. But my solution was a bit of a workaround. I ran out of the Focusrite outs (not headphone jack) and from that into auxiliary input of a small Alto mixing board. Then I hooked my headphones up to the mixing boards' headphone jack and voila. Plenty of volume and good sound.

Well, when using the 2i2 as a headphone amp for the 650s, volume is more than enough, it's more about the sound quality.
SupiGagliardi

Postby Rajivrocks » 12 Mar 2017, 09:09

I have my setup all figured out now, yes the quality from the 6i6 might be maybe 1% worse or something then if you'd plug your cans into the NP3 itself for me. maybe I am exaggerating a bit but I honestly don't mind it at all it sounds great to me. audio levels are kinda weak from the piano when I plug it into the front combi ports though. I had to fiddle a bit with the gain knobs. sometimes when I play FF for example I can hear a slight crackling of the audio clipping but thats just because I think the impedance of the piano is just too high for the 6i6. also i had a dumb problem before I didn't configure the piano in focusrites control panel into Stereo so I had both channels seperate and one not to the left and one not to the right if you know what i mean. I was so disappointed until I came across a video of a guy explaining the software and then I figured it out. in short yeah the volume level is a tad bit weak but manageable if you fiddle around with the gain knobs if you have plugged it into the front ports. back ports are VERY weak and wouldn't use them at all for a piano.
Rajivrocks

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum