Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Headphones sound from Scarlett vs NP2

Postby SupiGagliardi » 13 Nov 2016, 22:22

maurus wrote:
SupiGagliardi wrote:I just tried using just one channel and it sounds the same.

That should not be the case. One channel should give a mono signal, two channels, correctly configured, should give a stereo signal. This points to a problem in the stereo configuration somewhere in your setup. As Mr_-G- suggested above, you are probably summing up the left and right signals from the Nord somewhere in your setup. With headphones on, you should be able to route the left channel to the left ear, and the right channel to the right ear. Whether this works correctly or not can be tested by unplugging and replugging either channel.

Now that you mention it, when I disconnect one channel, it sounds lower, and with bad quality still. The thing I don't understand is, when using only one channel on the interface, where should I connect the other cable on the nord? L or R input? any of those?
SupiGagliardi

Sponsor

Postby Mr_-G- » 15 Nov 2016, 00:02

Lower and heard only on one side, or both sides?
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby SupiGagliardi » 15 Nov 2016, 01:35

Mr_-G- wrote:Lower and heard only on one side, or both sides?

Same sound quality, lower on both sides.
SupiGagliardi

Postby JustPianoGuy » 15 Nov 2016, 02:21

Hey I have the same headphones, and a Scarlett 18i8. You should run 2 mono cables from the Nord mono outputs to the Scarlett. The knobs at the interface should be at the same gain. The software of the Interface should be set like this, with channel 1 & 2 linked for stereo, and both channels set to line level.

Last edited by JustPianoGuy on 15 Nov 2016, 02:24, edited 4 times in total.
JustPianoGuy

Postby SupiGagliardi » 15 Nov 2016, 02:39

JustPianoGuy wrote:Hey I have the same headphones, and a Scarlett 18i8. You should run 2 mono cables from the Nord mono outputs to the Scarlett. The knobs at the interface should be at the same gain. The software of the Interface should be set like this, with channel 1 & 2 linked for stereo, and both channels set to line level.

Hey! I don't have that software installed, in the 2i2 page, it just shows you the drivers and that's it. Is that software specific for the 18i8 interface? thanks anyways. ps: aguante argentina che!
SupiGagliardi

Postby JustPianoGuy » 15 Nov 2016, 03:03

Sorry, I just checked further and the 2i2 can't run that software. I run a quick search on other forums and apparently the 2i2 can't monitor in stereo. You should turn off "direct monitor" and then run some DAW (Sonar, Cubase, Reaper, Ableton, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, etc). At the DAW you should be able to hard pan channel one to the left and channel two to the right, giving you stereo signal (monitoring without recording should be activated at the DAW options).
Ps: aguanteee che
Last edited by JustPianoGuy on 15 Nov 2016, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
JustPianoGuy

Postby SupiGagliardi » 15 Nov 2016, 03:27

JustPianoGuy wrote:Sorry, I just checked further and the 2i2 can't run that software. I run a quick search on other forums and apparently the 2i2 can't monitor in stereo. You should turn off "direct monitor" and then run some DAW (Sonar, Cubase, Reaper, Ableton, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, etc). At the DAW you should be able to hard pan channel one to the left and channel two to the right, giving you stereo signal (monitoring without recording should be activated at the DAW options).
Ps: aguanteee che

Ohh so that's why im getting the bad sound quality? its set to mono? Do you get the same audio quality when connecting the hd598 directly to the nord and when using it throught the audio interface?
SupiGagliardi

Postby JustPianoGuy » 15 Nov 2016, 03:43

Yes, I get the same quality with the interface, either using the stereo monitoring of the 18i8 or through a DAW.
Try this experiment. Connect the HD598 to the Nord Piano 2 and press shift + kdb Touch. This sets the Nord to Mono playback, and the sound should be the same low quality sound that you are hearing when you use the 2i2 (turn off the keyboard to return to normal stereo headphone playback).

To audition the piano in stereo when using the interface you should run a DAW cofiguration like this:

Some DAWs allow you yo run one stereo channel instead of two monos for the convenience.

Last edited by JustPianoGuy on 15 Nov 2016, 04:58, edited 7 times in total.
JustPianoGuy

Postby SupiGagliardi » 15 Nov 2016, 04:55

JustPianoGuy wrote:Yes, I get the same quality with the interface, either using the stereo monitoring of the 18i8 or through a DAW.
Try this experiment. Connect the HD598 to the Nord Piano 2 and press shift + kdb Touch. This sets the Nord to Mono playback, and the sound should be the same low quality sound that you are hearing when you use the 2i2 (turn off the keyboard to return to normal stereo headphone playback).

To audition the piano in stereo when using the interface you should run a DAW cofiguration like this:

Some DAWs allow you yo run one stereo channel instead of two monos for the convenience.

I just downloaded ableton and configured the interface, but I can't find the option to hear the feedback from ableton, with "Direct monitor" option off.
SupiGagliardi

Postby JustPianoGuy » 15 Nov 2016, 05:02

With Ableton this is the correct setup:

The "In" option should be active to hear live feedback. The channel is set to 1/2 which automatically takes channel 1 and 2 to make a stereo sound. Or you can also have 2 separate channel for each input, but one must be hard paned left and the other hard paned right.
Last edited by JustPianoGuy on 15 Nov 2016, 05:03, edited 1 time in total.
JustPianoGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum