This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Nord Sound Manager Enhancement Request

Postby dgw6208 » 02 Nov 2016, 17:46

Is it just me, or does Sound Manager really not display program settings from the 5D's Organ Engine or the ancillary settings from any of the engines? Currently NSM appears to only report which instrument voices are selected for each sound engine in a program. This is to request that NSM report/display all of the additional settings data for each instrument / program.

Dialing in a nuanced sound can involve lots of these settings: For Organs not only which organ and the drawbar settings, but also Leslie, Vibrato/Chorus, Percussion; and for Pianos: the Touch and Acoustics, for Synths: Attack/Sustain/Delay/Release, and for everything: all the Effects settings. I'm talking about having NSM report which effects are turned on for each Program, and what each one's dial/switch setting is. I would think that since the programs remember these things, then that data could easily be reported and displayed in Sound Manager. I've created a long spreadsheet to document most of these settings for each program in each of my songs, but keeping that up to date is tedious and has been less than 100% successful. My wish is to simply take advantage of the program settings data already within the instrument, and have NSM display that, along with the already displayed instrument selections from each sound engine.

By the way, I complained last year when I first bought the 5D (my 1st NORD) that NSM should have the ability to arrange songs in the instrument's setlists, instead of only being able to do that on the instrument. This feature was added and I am REALLY enjoying using it, as my band creates unique setlists for each gig. THANKS! Here's hoping you can make life easier once again.
Keyboards:
-Nord Electro 5D73
-Hammond XK-3c
-Roland RD 700
dgw6208

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Nord Sound Manager Enhancement Request

Sponsor

Re: Nord Sound Manager Enhancement Request

Postby emartin149 » 02 Nov 2016, 18:35

>'ve created a long spreadsheet to document most of these settings for each program in each of my songs, but keeping that up to date is tedious and has been less than 100% successful.<

Yeah, I've got spreadsheets too. I think this is all a great idea but I don't see it happening. I started another thread about just getting sound manager to run off an IPad or a Chromebook, and not a few people acted like I farted in church.

Part of the problem might be translating those parameters as the machine sees them into something we humans would understand. I highly doubt the keyboard memory sees "Sustain" or "Vibrato" as those labels - more likely as a set of alphanumeric codes. So what you are asking for would require some kind of translator software as well.
emartin149

Re: Nord Sound Manager Enhancement Request

Postby cEgws » 08 Nov 2016, 01:55

I have looked at the program files exported from Nord Sound Manager for my NE4D (ne4p). By making small changes in the parameters and exporting the program file again, it is not difficult to figure out what the data in the file represents (i.e. organ model, vibrato, etc.).
It would be rather time-consuming, however, to figure out what every byte in the file is for. Personally, I would rather be playing music than examining binary differences.

It's too bad — I bet a software developer with the source code at Nord could write a simple app in about 5 minutes that would easily dump out the contents of a program so at the very least you could dial in the correct settings if you wanted to recreate the sound from scratch.
DW-8000, DX7, ESQ-1, JD-990, MKS-70, TG77
cEgws

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Return to General Nord Forum