Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

NL2/2X vs discoDSP

Postby Marlowes » 06 Feb 2015, 17:55

Hej!

When I was working/playing with this
nord-lead-rack-forum-f12/nla1-patch-syncronicity-t8204.html#p52696
I just found this :D

by Aaron Marshall

These are his comments and praise of the NL2/2X:
Comparison of the Nord Lead 2 hardware synth vs the soft synth, discoDSP Discovery Pro. They have the exact settings, and identical automation.

The filters make all the difference. The Discovery Pro is a fine synth, but the filters and mod capabilities on the Nord Lead 2 are incredible. The filters and modulation are what separates the boys from the men. I could see discoDSP modeling better filters in the future. As technology moves along I think it will be possible to have 100% (maybe 120% with the wave addons) of the sound.

It starts off as the:
1. NL2 (solo)
2. Discovery Pro (solo)
3. NL2 (in the mix)
4. Discovery Pro (in the mix)
5. NL2 panned hard Right - Discovery panned hard Left simultaneously

The Nord Lead 2 actually pumps at less volume, but it blasts through the mix. To me, it sounds much more "musical" and more exciting.

The discoDSP Discovery Pro is quite awesome, though. They're good side by side tools. The wave sampling capability on the Discovery Pro makes it almost like a Nord Wave. If they improve the filters and tighten up the modulation in the future, this thing will be a beast. I already love it.

But, you know ... nothing beats twisting physical knobs! :thumbup:

/Amicalement
Michael in Scania
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:

The author Marlowes was thanked by 2 members, including:
pablomastodonricard
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

NL2/2X vs discoDSP

Sponsor

Re: NL2/2X vs discoDSP

Postby Mr_-G- » 07 Feb 2015, 12:06

Hm... that is a softsynth that loads sysex patches from the NL2?!
http://patcharena.com/tag/nord-lead-2-p ... rom-sysex/
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby ricard » 09 Feb 2015, 10:27

Yes, it can, it's even advertised as such on their web page.

http://www.discodsp.com/discovery/

Even the front panel is essentially identical to an NL2/2X, save for the color scheme and some minor details.

discovery.png
discovery.png (384.35 KiB) Viewed 5142 times

I suppose it's something Clavia could get a bit nasty about, as it borders on plagiarism, on the other hand imitation the sincerest form of flattery, and since a real 2/2X sounds better
(see nord-lead-rack-forum-f12/nla1-patch-syncronicity-t8204.html) it possibly works as free advertising ...
Last edited by ricard on 09 Feb 2015, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
ricard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Ricoche » 27 Mar 2015, 05:22

Has anyone tried to export patches and load them into their NL2 using discoDSP yet? Does it actually work as advertised? I understand the import will only work with the parameters the NL2 and discoDSP have in common. Just curious how the importing of files into the Nord Lead 2 sounds. Thanks!
Ricoche

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Marlowes » 27 Mar 2015, 09:57

Hej Ricoche!

Yes ... I have tried creating patches with discoDSP on my laptop ... then importing them to my NL2X.
It works.
The result is totally OK, IMHO, but not exactly the same. As the test above describes.

Does this answer your question? :)

/Amicalement
Michael in Scania
Last edited by Marlowes on 27 Mar 2015, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby Ricoche » 05 Apr 2015, 14:32

Thanks Michael,

I may give it a try. I was primarily looking for something to fiddle with on my laptop and later export to the Nord Lead. I understand they may not sound the same, but I was hoping that I could get close and then fine tweak from there on the NL2. Perhaps I'll give it a try and will let you know the results. Thanks again.

Jim

P.S. I'm also wondering how that Rekon Audio for Nord Lead 2 works as well. There's not a whole lot of info around on that one.
Last edited by Ricoche on 05 Apr 2015, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Ricoche

Postby Ricoche » 06 Apr 2015, 01:43

Well, after trying it out for a while last night I found discoDSP Discovery Pro didn't quite work out well as expected. First, I wish it had a skin to make it look like the Nord Lead 2 OR at least cancel out all of the extras that the Nord Lead 2 doesn't have. It then probably would have been much easier to strictly program for the Nord Lead 2 and export the patches. I also had a very difficult time determining what patches were set for each slot in Discovery. I'll have to check the manual for that. Overall, I could export and load up a few sounds on the NL2. The process actually reminded me more of a Nord Patch Generator than actual sound design. I know that discoDSP Discovery Pro was not designed to be an offline editor for the NL2, but it certainly would have been cool if it had. Personally I don't find this software useful with the Nord Lead 2, but that's just me. Maybe my thoughts will change as I work with it a bit longer. Thanks!!

The author Ricoche was thanked by:
Marlowes
Ricoche

Postby Carbon » 19 Aug 2015, 16:21

Hi guys,

could someone please explain to me, where do am I working the mistake on export NL2 patches from Discovery PRO? Because after send it ( .syx file ) to my Nord Rack 2 it doesn't work. Still same sound coming out from nord.
But other patches downloaded from web are working... So, what should I do?

Notice please, that i have bought it in couple of days ago, therefore i cant know everything .. :)

Many thanks in advance!

Carbon
Carbon

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Michael Bracha » 31 Oct 2016, 08:36

Since this come out
http://www.discodsp.com/discoverypro/

6.6 ver , does anyone have opnion if it's soud nord lead 2
Last edited by Michael Bracha on 31 Oct 2016, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Bracha
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum