The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

pa speaker or keyboard amp?

Postby kshim » 27 Sep 2016, 07:15

Hello!

I've been living in boston and ny for 8 years, and now I came back to my country, south korea.

(I still have electro series for light duty gigs and usually use the amp or pa system that venue provides.)

when I was in states, I had to sell my nord c2d ( had it for short amount of time, and b4 then i had c1) since I didn't have a car and it was pain in the ass to bring it using public transportation.

anyway, now I'm getting a car soon so I want to invest some money to buy c2d again, and buy little speaker or keyboard amp for it.

unfortunately hammond is really rare in s.korea, so I don't think we really have any leslie speaker(or if we do, it's going to be hard to repair or fix if there is any problem with it) so I'm thinking to get pa speaker or key amp.

don't have that much money, and most of the venue is pretty small so I don't think I need something big one.

to save up some money, I'm thinking to get small pa speakers from behringer BEHRINGER EUROPORT PPA200 or fender PASSPORT® CONFERENCE.

(attaching few pics of them)

if I have enough money or bigger car, I'd save to buy something like qsc k10, or something similar but unfortunately budget is very limited for now.

what's your opinion?

should I go with those little pa speakers or one keyboard amp? if go with keyboard amp, could you recommend any?

I've used cheap behringer pa speaker with nord (mostly ep sound) and I liked it, didn't love it but I thought it was good enough for small venue gigs, so my experience with keyboard amp is really limited. (can't think of any, i used to have peavey keyboard amp but didn't like it)
Pianist/ARRANGER/COMPOSER/Keyboardist

Nord Electro 4D, Nord C2D, Dave Smith Instrument Prophet 12
kshim

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

pa speaker or keyboard amp?

Sponsor

Re: pa speaker or keyboard amp?

Postby notchdave » 27 Sep 2016, 09:59

Always go for PA over keyboards amp. Behringer stuff for bottom end if pretty good. It now all comes with a 3 year guarantee which is much better than before. I have a friend who has the Passport and it always seems to have to cracked up full to get any volume out of it. Plastic speakers aren't great either. The small Alto active PA speakers with a separate mixer are VERY good for the money. I have the TS110. Loud, sturdy. 2 channels if thats all you need.
notchdave

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby venro » 27 Sep 2016, 11:33

My 2 Beheringer Eurolive F1320D work like a dream (even stereo). Traded in my Roland KC350 and will never regret it. Superior sound.
venro

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Marlowes » 27 Sep 2016, 11:46

Always go for PA over keyboards amp.

+1

Behringer active monitors works for me. Excellent price/performance quota. Perhaps not outstanding for clean piano ... but I can live with that. :D

/Michael
Last edited by Marlowes on 27 Sep 2016, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby ebowen4221 » 28 Sep 2016, 16:54

Another +1 for Pa speakers over "keyboard" amps. I haven't dealt with the Behringer speakers, but I do have JBL PRX710's. I find that the bass response is best when you don't fly the speakers, and put them on the floor. Even better if you can get them floor plus a back wall. I use mine with a Moog, too. If I'm not careful, it'll overpower the bass player.
Nord C2, Nord Stage 2, Moog Sub37, Moog Minitaur
Hammond A100, Wurlitzer P200A

The author ebowen4221 was thanked by:
Marlowes
ebowen4221

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby kshim » 30 Sep 2016, 13:38

thanks, I decided go with pa system as soon as nord c2d shipped.

hopefully I can upload something soon, but need to shed before I play gig with it!

:)

kshim

Postby kshim » 17 Oct 2016, 19:23

ok, one more question!

I was going to pull the trigger for used pa speakers.. but, what a surprise there is a one dealer(not author, I think but still) who buy stuff from japan and sell it in here with reasonable price.

let's say in USD, I'm able to get portable PA from yamaha or JBL for $1,000 or I can buy leslie 2101 mk2 for $ 1,800.

should I buy leslie 2101 mk2?

my question is, can it still produce low end with out bottom speaker in small venue (50~100 people. larger venue I can hook up with house PA, so I'm not worried.)

can anybody tell me leslie 2101 is wise choice even though I have to pay $800 more than portable pa?

kshim

Postby ebowen4221 » 18 Oct 2016, 16:33

If you're only ever going to play organ, then the leslie could be a good buy. But if you ever want to play piano, rhodes, clav, or even plug an iPod or mic into, get the PA speakers.

As well as my pa speakers, I have a Motion Sound Pro-145. I don't ever take it out anymore because the PA with the leslie sim is so good.

If the pa speakers don't have the bass you want out of them, be sure to put them one the floor, or next to a wall, or in a corner is even better. Using ground planes is the cheapest way to boost bass without a bigger speaker. Works well for your home theater too!
ebowen4221

Postby kshim » 18 Oct 2016, 18:03

thanks. most of the venue that I will play have keyboard amp and crappy pa systems. still can't decide what to buy. I'm leaning towards to leslie but like you said I also play keys(rhodes, piano) so portable pa would make more sense.

I listened at small venue in boston when my friend was playing hammond(chopped) with two PA underneath organ, I thought it sounded really good and very 3D like.

If I go with PA, do you suggest to get 2 PA speakers for stereo image?

or one good PA speaker such as QSC K10? (it's pretty expensive in here... little more than 1k. in states I remember each unit cost $600 or $700.. what a bummer :(

kshim

Postby ebowen4221 » 18 Oct 2016, 18:59

Depending on the gig I go to, I mainly just use one of my JBL PRX710's I find it to be loud enough and have the low end for a 50 person venue. Both of them will do well up to 100, but I'd hit the "boost" button. But then again, these are 10" drivers. You just need to make the decision on if you want an amp for organ only, or have the ability to use them for whatever. Only you know what you'll use the most.
ebowen4221

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum