General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Gig stand for Nord Stage 2

Postby rockinmoxie » 10 Oct 2016, 21:39

Hi guys! Okay – I know all you seasoned members are probably irritated with questions like these, but….I did try and search first! :) I just upgraded my keyboard and got my first Nord and I love it. However, my keyboard stand (x style) is too deep. My old keyboard was pretty massive, but this one is too big. I don’t like the looks if I put the extra bars sticking out in the front, and if it is on my side, it gets in my way especially because I also play guitar and sing, so I have to stand behind keyboard and use the same mic setup as when I’m playing keys. I’m a woman of all trades. :lol:
I stand when I gig, because I’m a mover. I dance my ass off and couldn’t hold still if I needed to, so I need something sturdy. I only have the 1 keyboard, so I don’t need a rack. I looked at the Nord legs, but they seem like a pain to put on/off and for traveling. I gig quite frequently and wonder if they are usable for standing and/or set up/tear down.

I’m sure I can order another X-Style stand that’s smaller and fits my new sassy keys, but the other problem is the adjustability of height. My current stand is either too high, or too low with the Nord. I don’t know how I got it perfect before, but my old keyboard was taller so it must have been perfectly inbetween. Has anybody else had the issue of needing the adjustment right in the middle? Are there any tricks of the trade ya’ll can share?

Why do some people have their keys at an angle? Is that only when people have racks? Or do some prefer it? Is it more ergonomic? Do any of you have a slanted set up that maybe I should look into? I’m open to options, but the height adjustability is a must. I always gig in high heels, and rehearse in heels too. The only time I’m in flats is when I’m at home.

Thanks for the input!
~Shauna

The author rockinmoxie was thanked by:
joe_nor
rockinmoxie

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Gig stand for Nord Stage 2

Sponsor

Re: Gig stand for Nord Stage 2

Postby jfenton » 10 Oct 2016, 21:59

I have for home a Z stand triple tier for my Hammond, Korg, A300-Pro. Most stable but pretty deep (due to the Hammond)
I have X double for Nord, Alesis. Probably still too deep.
For traveling I have single stand that works for either my Nord or VR-09. It is definately lightest but you should probably check out
height adjustment to see if it meets your needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Stage-KS7150-Table-Keyboard-Stand/dp/B000EXIMFI/ref=sr_1_19?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1476129310&sr=1-19&keywords=keyboard+stand

I only use angle adjustment for second (slight adjustment if any) and third (most adjustment).
Keyboards:
  • NS2 EX Compact 73
  • Hammond SK2
  • Roland VCombo VR-09
  • Roland A800-Pro
  • Behringer Motor 49
  • Alesis Q88
jfenton
Patch Creator

Postby Schulti » 11 Oct 2016, 11:23

rockinmoxie wrote:I looked at the Nord legs, but they seem like a pain to put on/off and for traveling. I gig quite frequently and wonder if they are usable for standing and/or set up/tear down.

Hey, i would recommend the legs. If you are getting used to them, you will be able to set them up in 2 mins. If you can manage to get your keyboard on the side or the front to wind them on, there will be no trouble with them. At least this is my experience. They are usable for standing and sitting. But you should have a look, if the standingposition is high enough for you - if so, get them! :)

Best
Christoph
Schulti

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Falcon2e » 11 Oct 2016, 16:20

If you find an "X" stand that is the correct height for you, but you're concerned that it is too wide at the top, pull the little rubber bumpers off the tubing and use a hack saw to shorten the top brackets. Then re-attach the rubber parts. I wouldn't shorten the base. Keep it original for stability. Also, lots of X users place a safety strap or thin rope around the two top braces just in case the locking pin fails.
Falcon2e

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby danrv » 11 Oct 2016, 17:48

Falcon2e wrote:just in case the locking pin fails.

:shock:
Last edited by danrv on 12 Oct 2016, 00:17, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland XP80, Yamaha P140, Yamaha PSR2000 , 2 x Yamaha DXR10, Roland KC150, Toa D3 line mixer, Quiklok 2 tier X stand.
danrv

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Gustavo » 12 Oct 2016, 15:43

I fully recommend the KM Spider Pro. Fully adjustable, easy to setup and very good looking. You could use it to play sitting down or standing up!

Usually keyboards are at an angle when they are too high. It is easier to play a tilted keyboard from below than a nontilted

Hope this helps,
Gustavo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Synths: Nord Stage 2 SW, Nord Lead 4R, Vintage Vibe 64 Active, Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2, Minimoog Voyager, Prophet 6, Korg Volcas
Stand: K&M Spider Pro and Hercules X Stands
Recording: Zoom UAC-8
Speakers: EV ELXP 112-P, Event Alp 5
Gustavo
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby rockinmoxie » 13 Oct 2016, 04:54

Thank you all so much! I love the input.
rockinmoxie

Postby Stefan1874 » 13 Oct 2016, 08:14

I fully agree with Gustavo. K&M Spider Pro is perfect for you. In addition, you can connect your microphone boom arm to a socket directly on the top plate, for the best microphone location.
Regards Stefan.
Stefan1874

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Mr. Marko » 16 Oct 2016, 05:42

I am tall and always looking for the tallest stand available...ready to order any possible candidate as soon as it became available. Over the years I have accumulated a lot of hardware that now sits idle for one reason or another.

Currently using a QL-742 with RED POOL NOODLES on the bottom tier pipes to raise it to "almost" where I need it. At first I thought it looked dorky, but the overall look of red and black stand matches the NS2 enough that I forgot about that concer quickly enough.

QL-742 is heavier than other options t I have tried but that is because it is built better...if the bottom tier was three inches higher I would be a happy man and the noodles would be gone.
NS4 / NS3 / NS-EX / Modular G1 / G2 / G2X / NL3
Basically Too Many Nords to Haul to a Gig
Mr. Marko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Return to Nord Stage Forum