Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Electro 5 rotary sim compared to Electro 4 sim question.

Postby daniel70 » 06 Oct 2016, 22:40

That's why i have decided to keep my NE3 + Neo Ventilator II for the moment. It still sounds great!
daniel70

Sponsor

Postby shirley » 08 Oct 2016, 06:09

theGman wrote:My solution to the grinding noise is to use some Velcro and my Lester K rotary box instead, and set the speaker on the Comp setting. It sounds really good...don't let the low $$$ fool you!

I bought the Lester box after reading really good reviews on the Musicplayer.Com site. It is reasonably priced, about $175, works well. I put some black Velcro on the left side top and can now move on to something else to whine about.

Plus, you have 5 more knobs to fiddle with...right up a Nord players alley. It's a cream colour though; I kinda have an urge to spray paint it red. I could use red duct tape. I already bought a red power cord... had to admit it. : )

Well, you lost me at "use some Velcro" on this thread. WTF?
NE5D 73, Hohner Clavinet D6, Moog Voyager, Kurzweil PC3x, Hammond B3, Leslie 147, Wurly 200a, Mellotron M400, Yamaha C3, Baldoni Combo II. http://www.debonzobrothers.com
shirley

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby shirley » 08 Oct 2016, 06:22

daniel70 wrote:That's why i have decided to keep my NE3 + Neo Ventilator II for the moment. It still sounds great!

Way back when I was playing an NE3, I did not EVEN need a Ventilator II. Back then, Nord had a great Hammond/Leslie simulation, at least it was good enough for me. What happened?
NE5D 73, Hohner Clavinet D6, Moog Voyager, Kurzweil PC3x, Hammond B3, Leslie 147, Wurly 200a, Mellotron M400, Yamaha C3, Baldoni Combo II. http://www.debonzobrothers.com
shirley

Postby michael_C1 » 08 Oct 2016, 23:42

theGman wrote:Similar ^^^.....I DO play in a fairly loud classic rock and blues band, so the non-clean sound isn't as bad as it could be. I do have an E3/73 and had an E2, so it was quite the shock to hear what they did to the rotary sound.

I would make complete sense if this raspy sound was an option, but, after the clear sounds of the earlier Electro rotaries, all I can say is "What the heck were they THINKING?"

Having a vivid imagination for an old guy, I can't help but imagine some tech from Korg, Yamaha, Roland, etc. breaking into the Swedish lab one dark night and sabotaging their rotary sound just as production began.

Not sure what they were thinking, but I read somewhere that in a comparison with Hammond SK gear it was said that the Nord's had a less biting/ballsy sound. I don't think that's true, myself. So, this rotary sim may have been to compensate for a perceived lack of bite. I believe it's a BIG mistake on Nord's part. My Electro 4 has PLENTY of bite, no noise (unlike the Electro 5), and nice bass response (unlike the Electro 5). I'd be a fan of the E5 and would buy another one to replace the one I recently sold IF they'd fix the rotary sim.

As far as your vivid imagination, I think it's much simpler than what you've dreamed up. I'm half Swedish myself, and from personal experience I've noticed a significant degrade in cognitive function when I've enjoyed too much glogg. I believe many Swedes are not immune to the appeal of some hot, spicy glogg on a cold winter's night. I believe that's where the problem may lie. :mrgreen:
Last edited by michael_C1 on 08 Oct 2016, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
michael_C1

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby anotherscott » 22 Mar 2017, 16:43

shirley wrote:
theGman wrote:My solution to the grinding noise is to use some Velcro and my Lester K rotary box instead, and set the speaker on the Comp setting. It sounds really good...don't let the low $$$ fool you!

I bought the Lester box after reading really good reviews on the Musicplayer.Com site. It is reasonably priced, about $175, works well. I put some black Velcro on the left side top and can now move on to something else to whine about.

Plus, you have 5 more knobs to fiddle with...right up a Nord players alley. It's a cream colour though; I kinda have an urge to spray paint it red. I could use red duct tape. I already bought a red power cord... had to admit it. : )

Well, you lost me at "use some Velcro" on this thread. WTF?

Velcro if you want to attach it to the top surface of the Electro for easy access to all its knobs. Or you can set it the way you want it and leave it on the floor for foot operation.

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting video, showing the Lester on a Nord (organ sounds at beginning and end of video).
Watch on youtube.com

michael_C1 wrote:I thought about the NeoV although it is expensive. But then I would have had to use the two outputs in mono, one for organ, if I were doing a split.

True, using an external rotary simulator means you can't keep everything stereo if you want to do a split. But choosing the Electro 4 instead as some have talked about doesn't solve that problem either, since it can't do a split at all!

I think if someone prefers the E5D in general but only sticks with the 4 for the rotary, it might make more sense to just put a different rotary on the 5, so you can get the rotary effect you want on the board you otherwise prefer. (And you'd still have the option of using the internal rotary for times it might make more sense, like if you do want to do a split and keep the non-organ sound stereo as well.)
anotherscott

Postby offrhodes » 23 Mar 2017, 20:36

I think it's digital aliasing. Might actually be a design error in the algorithm.
The good news is, if you can convince Clavia that it's a flaw it can probably be fixed by tweaking some internal filters.

Do the following experiment:
Set tonewheels to clean, pull out the 8'' drawbar only and play the lowest E.
Then go to system menu and sweep "Fine tune" on page 3 from 433 to 450 Hz.

The fuzzy tone sweeps the opposite way (when I tune up, it comes down), which is typical for aliasing as it's a mirror image with a multiple of some fixed internal sampling frequency.

I tried the same on the Stage 2 EX, and there this "fuzz tone" is considerably lower, barely noticeable.

Personally, I wouldn't consider it a problem. My first thought was that it models diaphragm resonance (but IMHO it seems too inconsistent to be intended).
Playing organ bass it might be annoying, still with my N5D I feel I'm in pig heaven :)
Last edited by offrhodes on 23 Mar 2017, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
And I was worried - all the way down to the ground
When it comes to holding safety nets
Nobody seems to be around
offrhodes

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby benny ray » 24 Mar 2017, 00:14

I just wish I could get a completely clean leslie sound on the E5D. I have tried everything it always seems to have a little growl not bad but want a clean leslie sound from time to time.
Any suggestions for a clean leslie?

Please don't say set rotor to clean doesn't matter.
benny ray

Postby Lee Batchelor » 02 Apr 2017, 17:27

I agree with Benny Ray. No matter what we do, there's always a bit of growl - even when rotating the Drive/Comp button a bit, and then back to zero. It's as though there's no Off button. The lowest setting still provides about 10 percent growl all the time. I don't see why Nord can't send through an OS update to give us zero growl when the darn button says 0!!
Last edited by Lee Batchelor on 02 Apr 2017, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Batchelor

Postby anotherscott » 02 Apr 2017, 17:43

Lee Batchelor wrote:I agree with Benny Ray. No matter what we do, there's always a bit of growl - even when rotating the Drive/Comp button a bit, and then back to zero. It's as though there's no Off button. The lowest setting still provides about 10 percent growl all the time. I don't see why Nord can't send through an OS update to give us zero growl when the darn button says 0!!

Maybe they can, but maybe they can't. As I understand it, just like probably every other board (with the likely exception of the Kronos), certain stuff in the Nords is "burned into" the system and not updatable/patchable, so certain design decisions made early on can't be changed through software updates. And in Nord's defense, it is possible that the Leslie 122 cabinet they modeled had that same ever-present slight growl, and it is indeed an authentic modeling.
anotherscott

Postby Lee Batchelor » 02 Apr 2017, 22:05

Agreed anotherscott - however, I remember going out for dinner with my parents in the 60s and listening to the organist playing a B3. The Leslie was very smooth, which means they did exist (not that your arguing that point :)). I still think it is an enormous blunder on Nord's part. Someone should have had the wisdom to say, "Hey wait guys, that cabinet is growly. We need to start with a clean sound, and then offer up growl at the user's discretion."

No excuses. From what others have said, the 4D organ starts off clean. I hope you're wrong about it being burned in permanently!
Last edited by Lee Batchelor on 02 Apr 2017, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Batchelor

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Electro Forum