Blasphemy? Computer speakers for Stage 2?

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
juhana
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Re: Blasphemy? Computer speakers for Stage 2?

Post by juhana »

turnstyle wrote:Thanks, is the 14x18 cm depth x width?
Yep.
Last edited by juhana on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
mjbrands

Post by mjbrands »

What about some Genelec 8020/8030 speakers and some cheap-ish Samson MS100 speaker stands (http://www.dv247.de/invt/66115/)? With their small foot they wouldn't need that much room nor would they look very imposing. Ofcourse, the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is a critical one. :lol:

If you're interested in the Genelecs in general, this PDF might be interesting: http://www.genelec.com/documents/catalo ... ochure.pdf

It also shows the (relative) sizes of all their speakers on page 19. Btw. genuine Genelec accessories aren't cheap.
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
turnstyle

Post by turnstyle »

Hey, a question about getting something such as the Genelec's.

I've never owned "studio monitors" and from what I understand, "hi-fi" equipment is oriented toward "sounding fun" and studio monitors are oriented toward "clinical" -- is that not correct?

I'd say for us the point is to have fun -- so would Genelec's even make sense?
Last edited by turnstyle on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
mjbrands

Post by mjbrands »

turnstyle wrote:I've never owned "studio monitors" and from what I understand, "hi-fi" equipment is oriented toward "sounding fun" and studio monitors are oriented toward "clinical" -- is that not correct?
You are absolutely correct there. And 'fun' usually means boosting the low frequencies (mostly bass) and possibly lowering (or cutting) higher frequencies. In contrast, monitors will have a flatter frequency response as they're meant for recording engineers, etc. to come to a good mix. If something doesn't sound too nice on normal speakers, it will likely sound like s*** on monitors. You could think of monitors as the sound engineer's 'looking glass' - if you're in control of the source of the sound (for example, you're using your Stage) that can actually be very useful. In a way monitors are a bit more like headphones than all-purpose speakers, as (like headphones) they are more true to the original sound (for better or worse).

If you listen to Christina Aguilera's first album on monitors, you hear piercing high-pitched noises. I have no idea what the recording engineer was thinking, but it sounds horrible to me. I hear the same thing on headphones, but not on the speakers of my (pretty expensive 30") Dell monitor.

In general monitors will have less pronounced bass (which doesn't mean absent bass, just less booming) and more high-frequency content (maybe 8+ kHz?).
turnstyle wrote:I'd say for us the point is to have fun -- so would Genelec's even make sense?
It depends I suppose. Normal hifi speakers are often engineered to sound good at a distance of maybe 2-3 meters, while (near-field) monitors are meant to sit much closer to you (maybe 60-150 cm?). They normally have good built-in amplifiers, balanced inputs (how unfortunate the Nord's don't have balanced outputs) and built more solidly (and thus heavier) than general 'PC' speakers. A nice set of monitors should last you quite a number of years.

Badly produced (i.e. commercial 's***' emphasizing certain frequencies to get more attention) music will should bad (more so than on normal/PC speakers), while properly produced/recorded music sounds very nice, as should your Stage. If it sounds bad, you've probably done something horrible with the EQ :D

If you intend to also use them to listen to 'top 40' music, monitors might not be the most pleasing to the ear. Also, the smaller the speaker, the less bass there will be. Small speakers might need some help from a sub-woofer for bass-heavy material, but general purpose sub-woofers are often too slow to properly reproduce a crisp kickdrum for example.

I have a set of KRK Rokit 6 G2 speakers, which I also use to listen to music. I like them, but they emphasize low frequencies a bit too much to call them 'neutral'. I don't know the Genelecs, but the Yamaha HS50/HS80 monitors are considered fairly 'neutral' I think. They (my KRKs) produce plenty of bass and can really get the table they're standing on vibrating (they do have isolating rubber pads on the bottom).

Ideally you would be able to test a set of monitors at a music store (maybe even with your Stage) to see if you like them. Whether any suitable store with acceptable prices is close (enough) to you, that is a different matter. :D
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
live4adrenaline

Post by live4adrenaline »

slightly refreshing this topic....

Is there a audi set that provide crystal clear voice image (like active speakers) and provide fun for normal spotify music ?

Will genelec with sub be universal ?
These users thanked the author live4adrenaline for the post:
varignet