Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Using 2 program sounds with split

Postby Carabunga » 10 Sep 2016, 21:34

Hi Nord Peeps - I have programmed 2 sounds in separate locations that i like. I'd like to use both of these sounds at once - one in lower and one in upper using a split point. I setup the lower sound i want to use and then set a split point but i can't seem to then navigate to the sound i'd like for the upper part without losing the lower sound. Is there a way round this or do you have to just note down all the settings and re-program one of the parts?
I've got the electro 5HP - cheers in advance for any help - Carabunga
Last edited by Carabunga on 10 Sep 2016, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Carabunga

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Using 2 program sounds with split

Sponsor

Re: Using 2 program sounds with split

Postby ericL » 10 Sep 2016, 23:16

On the NE5, you can't split two separate programs - you need to set up the split in a single program and then select the instrument you want for each side (piano + synth, piano + organ, organ + synth (etc), then save it.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by:
Carabunga
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby notchdave » 10 Sep 2016, 23:20

One of the major drawbacks of the electro 5 is you cannot use two synth samples together left and right. Piano/ organ Piano/sample Organ/Sample Organ/Organ if you are using B3+bass. Thats the only splits and layer you can have.
notchdave

Postby ericL » 10 Sep 2016, 23:28

notchdave wrote:One of the major drawbacks of the electro 5 is you cannot use two synth samples together left and right. Piano/ organ Piano/sample Organ/Sample Organ/Organ if you are using B3+bass. Thats the only splits and layer you can have.

That's why there is a Nord Stage 2. :D

You CAN actually split with the same synth on each side of the split with NE5, applying different octaves and effects to each side. It can work not bad to have a pad on the left with a lead on the right if you do the right stuff with the effects and pedal assignments. I rely on my NS2 for more complex stuff. The fact that the NE5 can do splits and layers of more than organ sounds is a first for any Electro, so I'd consider it a pretty big deal in terms of capability.
Last edited by ericL on 11 Sep 2016, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by:
Carabunga
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby notchdave » 11 Sep 2016, 00:06

agree with the above: stage 2 far more flexible.
notchdave

Postby luckyluca » 12 Sep 2016, 09:08

notchdave wrote:agree with the above: stage 2 far more flexible.

but also 60-66% more expensive.
I found that with the right effects you could make use of some organ and piano sounds as if you were using two synth samples at the same time.
I wouldn't undermine the reduced price, oled display, drawbars and 61keys lightness.
but if money and space are not a problem go for the stage, or wait until January.
perhaps a new stage with oled display?
luckyluca

Postby notchdave » 12 Sep 2016, 11:37

yes I agree. The b3 bass will give you a half decent bass tone as long as you dont linger on the note. You can then have a sample in the upper. Found the b3 bass much better for faster bass lines. And yes. In the UK the stage 2 ex compact is £1000 more the the electro 5. There are some times when I could have used 2 samples. A split of a jazz drum kit and double bass in a duo I sometimes play in. But not often and I got round it with a Farmers foot pedal for the percussion.
notchdave

Postby Carabunga » 02 Oct 2016, 18:01

Hi Everyone - thanks for replying to my post. I've had to resort to taking a photo of the settings of my Programmed sounds and then starting a new Program (with a Split point) and entering the settings again. Seems a bit of a faff. I just want to select my Program sound and then split it and use a different sound for the lower part but obviously Nord want me to shell out for the Stage 2 :-( Any other cheaper suggestions are welcome :-) Oh well, I'm having fun - might even try to update the software soon, i'm scared it's gonna freak out and delete all my stuff. Cheers - Carabunga x
Carabunga

Postby Berretje » 02 Oct 2016, 20:03

Carabunga wrote:i'm scared it's gonna freak out and delete all my stuff

Magic word: backup!
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord Electro Forum