All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: To DI or not to DI

Postby pablomastodon » 15 Mar 2016, 04:36

+1 to Ashly LX-308B -- my last mixer before going digital with A&H Qu-Pac. I wouldn't bother with DI on the backside of that...

bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
DJKeys
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Sponsor

Postby drraw » 15 Mar 2016, 05:07

I used to have a similar set-up going to the board. The problem that I always ran in to was the surging of an expression pedal via that routing. Sound guys love the DI

The author drraw was thanked by:
DJKeys
drraw

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby RedLeo » 15 Mar 2016, 11:29

DJKeys wrote:Would there be an advantage using the Radial Pro 2 on the stereo feed from my line mixer (Ashly LX-308B) going the FOH? Right now, I use balanced TRS cables to two board inputs. This way the sound guy would probably not have to have different trims on these channels as he does now, as he could use the mic inputs instead of the balanced line inputs.

Any input appreciated.

In terms of level, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Unless your sound guy is unhappy with the fact that you're going to line inputs instead of mic inputs for some reason, I wouldn't worry about different trim levels. That's what they're there for - they're just knobs, they're just as happy in one position as another. The exception would be if they're setting to very extreme positions and limit your sound man's options. By all means, if he wants you to switch to using mic inputs, oblige him - a happy sound man is ...well... a happy sound man.

Two other reasons to consider using your DI box:

1. Can eliminate ground loops. That's important, so you should always be carrying it with you anyway.

2. If you feel that running your sound through it improves your sound because it's using nice quality transformers - something Radial are noted for, of course.

3. If you're not always working with the same PA. A lot of professional FOH desks don't actually have balanced line inputs in the first place, just mic inputs. Line inputs are the exception, not the rule.

Ok, that's three other reasons :)
Last edited by RedLeo on 15 Mar 2016, 11:34, edited 2 times in total.

The author RedLeo was thanked by:
DJKeys
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby DJKeys » 15 Mar 2016, 17:21

Thanks for the great input, guys-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby rich4r » 05 May 2016, 18:40

Sorry to bump, just wanted not to make a whole new thread of things that have been already discussed trought the entire forum.. :thumbup: :)
As I see getting a DI would improve sound, but not that much for being a prority over the primary amplification.
Well, this is a very particulary situation, where I have limited $ and not so many options.. I'm using a NE5 and an old korg, and I am planning to get a minilogue or some new minisynth to the pack.
The thing is. I can only afford ONE - not the pair - EV ZLX 12p.. so, think that I could only connect 2 keyboards in mono to the EV - I could not use the old korg. But in terms of sound, would it be great?
If not could get a DI and mix the keys in there and go out to the single EV trought stereo..
Am I missing something?
Btw, sorry for my English, and thank you so much for your time 8-)

rCH
rich4r

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby GeeDeWee » 26 Sep 2016, 13:59

Allright, say you've decided to buy your own Radial DI's (after reading all that's been said about it here :D )

Should you buy active or passive DI's?
From the Radial website: "As a rule of thumb, if the source is active such as a keyboard, we tend to recommend passive. If the source is passive like a Fender bass, we tend to recommend active."

So that means passive DI's with Nords.
Somewhere on this forum I've read that the output from the Nords is a bit low.
Don't know if that's true, but would that mean that active DI's are more suitable with Nords and that the rule of thumb does not apply with Nords?
That would suck, because the passive Radial ProD2 is a lot less expensive then the active Radial J48 Stereo (at least at my local store).
GeeDeWee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby Johannes » 26 Sep 2016, 14:19

Hi,

don't worry, a passive DI will work just fine! Note that the output signal of the DI is typically MIC level (so much lower!) and symmetric, so you don't need a whole lot of power on your unbalanced line output to drive the XLR input on the console anyways.
Maybe also consider the JDI Stereo or Duplex, just in case.

Cheers

The author Johannes was thanked by:
GeeDeWee
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby GeeDeWee » 26 Sep 2016, 21:32

Thanks, I'll consider that. Quite a bit of price difference though...
ProD2: € 149
JDI Stereo: € 371
JDI Duplex: € 385

It's the Jensen transformers you pay for I suppose?
GeeDeWee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Previous

Return to Accessories and Amplification