Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

B3 split vs. solo levels (E5 v1.24)

Postby chadawagner » 03 Nov 2015, 01:54

I'm having an issue with the Electro 5 B3 sound when switching between split and non-split modes, where the volume of one voice in split mode is significantly louder than the volume of the same voice with the same settings when the split is deactivated. Is this by design, or a known issue? I see a note in the changelog for v1.24 that looks like something similar, but I have v1.24 installed and am still experiencing this issue. The note says "In B3 mode, notes held on the keyboard while KB Split was engaged would sound layered until released.", but my problem is that they sound layered at all in the first place (why would a "split" be layered?), and then that there is a sudden change in level of held notes when the split is deactivated.
chadawagner

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

B3 split vs. solo levels (E5 v1.24)

Sponsor

Re: B3 split vs. solo levels (E5 v1.24)

Postby rb4u1 » 04 Nov 2015, 22:50

I would check your overdrive on the Leslie setting.

The author rb4u1 was thanked by:
chadawagner
rb4u1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby chadawagner » 05 Nov 2015, 10:54

Thanks. I'll double-check, but I'm pretty sure that's not changing when I activate/deactivate the split. I do have a bit of overdrive on it, but both parts are going through the same Leslie simulator section.

Besides the levels, the other symptom of changing the split is a brief dropout in the sound, such that a held note (e.g. in the lower section, when switching from split to lower only) is not continuous. What I am trying to do is to pretend I have a dual-manual organ, with LH bass and comping on the lower manual with the split off, or upper manual above the split when activated, without any volume change or discontinuity in the lower part. Maybe this is not possible, or there is another way?
chadawagner

Postby Bassics101 » 23 Sep 2016, 01:05

Reviving this thread, as I notice the same thing with splitting the keyboard on all organ settings on my 5D v1.30. I've checked every setting I can find, but the split is slightly louder, fuller, something. Noticeable in headphones. Not annoyingly significant, but there. I'm wondering if it could be that two engines with fewer keys in each bank when split is slightly louder than one engine with twice the number of keys. Thoughts?
Last edited by Bassics101 on 23 Sep 2016, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
Bassics101

Postby ACCORDIONMAN » 10 Feb 2017, 02:26

I'm just going to chime in here, because I think I had the same volume issue with splits in general.

I've only just got the NE5D so this might be a newbie thing! I found that if I made any 50/50 split, that if I then deactivated the split AND switched off one of the sounds, the remaining sound would play more quietly than when in the split.

This is obviously due to the fact that, the overall volume of the 50/50 split has to be similar to the volume of an individual sound. This means that an individual sound is louder if the 'PART MIX' knob is full right or left - rather than in the middle.

If in the middle the sound is quieter.

You probably know this already, but it took me ages to work out! Sorry if it's not that relevant to your question.
ACCORDIONMAN
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Electro Forum