Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Re: Nord Lead 4r/A1r discontinued?

Postby Spider » 01 Sep 2016, 19:04

I think we should take into account not just the internal competition (Lead keyboard versions vs. Lead racks) but most of all the external competitors.
That is, Nords historically are all about live performance - sacrificing some features typical of more comprehensive "production" keyboards to have everything easily accessible on a great user interface. An example is the lack of a sequencer (is anybody going to program a sequencer on the fly during a live performance? No, so it's out) as well as programmable arpeggiators, bucketloads of programmable effects, etc etc.
But the average studio designer (the typical buyer of rack synths) is not interested in a great live interface, he'd rather have more depth and as much features as possible, doesn't matter if there is a lot of menu diving involved.

So, while the keyboard Leads have their own market segment where they are successful because they offer something quite unique, the rack versions have to fight against other products that are simply more suited to the needs of their specific customer.
Last edited by Spider on 03 Sep 2016, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

The author Spider was thanked by 2 members, including:
pablomastodonMarlowes
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Sponsor

Postby pablomastodon » 02 Sep 2016, 18:04

kind of a shame, but not a surprise...

as a super huge fan of preferring rack modules whenever possible, I immediately rushed to purchase my own NR4 when they came out, then quickly discovered that in this instance I greatly preferred the keyed version -- precisely because of the basic Nord philosophy of having controls at one's hands. My favorite feature of NL4/NR4 is IMPULSE MORPH. This works GREAT on keyed version, but not so convenient in rack version. The unique aspects of the Nord design forced me to change an opinion which I've strongly held since 1990, at least with respect to the NL4.

and yes, the Korg ARP release is probably more about nostalgia than anything else. They will probably sell lots of them just for the novelty factor. It's just as likely that ebay will be littered with these Korg ARPs at low prices in a couple years.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
Marlowes
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby cosmodrome » 04 Sep 2016, 16:17

Gustavo wrote:Too bad, I was planning on buying a NL 4R in a few months :(

I was pretty surprised when two months ago when I tried to buy one at one of Germany's biggest retailers and got told it was not available at the time. Luckily I found an almost new NL4r in really perfect condition for 900€ on eBay "Kleinanzeigen" (German eBay subsite for local sales, not sure if available abroad and what it's named there) - and I am very happy with the synth. At the end of the day I'll have a 4 month old synth instead of a two month old one plus 600 bucks in my pocket :)
So my assumption is: If you really want one, you'll certainly still be able to get an NL4r for a while. At this time you might even make a rather good deal.
Last edited by cosmodrome on 04 Sep 2016, 16:27, edited 2 times in total.
cosmodrome

Postby Muziksculp » 05 Sep 2016, 02:17

Here is another Desktop Synth beauty, which just started shipping ! (I'm sure they will sell very well, although the price is a bit on the high-side for a desktop analog synth).

I already Pre-Orderd one a little while ago :thumbup: and I'm looking forward to have it soon. Hopefully Clavia will make a desktop version of their future models. (i.e. NL5, ..etc. )

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/09/03/dave-smith-instruments-ob-6-desktop-synthesizer-now-available/
Last edited by Muziksculp on 05 Sep 2016, 02:25, edited 2 times in total.
Muziksculp

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby ljefe » 13 Sep 2016, 01:11

Well, I have an A1 but have been coveting a NL4 R. I don't have room for another keyboard, so discontinuing the rack versions will keep me from spending money on a synth I don't really NEED. I guess that's a silver lining for me.

This is what I'm telling myself.

The author ljefe was thanked by:
MattC
ljefe

Postby Muziksculp » 13 Sep 2016, 01:19

ljefe wrote:Well, I have an A1 but have been coveting a NL4 R. I don't have room for another keyboard, so discontinuing the rack versions will keep me from spending money on a synth I don't really NEED. I guess that's a silver lining for me.

This is what I'm telling myself.

There you go, Clavia just lost a sale, Thanks to their decision to discontinue the Desktop/Rack Models :clap:
Muziksculp

Postby Duplobaustein » 13 Sep 2016, 10:28

Guys, there will be units in stock for quite a time.

The author Duplobaustein was thanked by:
Marlowes
Duplobaustein

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Postby skintechnician » 13 Sep 2016, 17:56

Hello,
I recently picked up a used NL4r on eBay for under $1000 USD and am quite stoked with it! There's definitely units/deals out there if you do some searching.

...And I guess Roland didn't get the memo that desktop units don't sell. :)

Cheers!

The author skintechnician was thanked by 2 members, including:
ljefeMarlowes
skintechnician

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2

Postby Muziksculp » 16 Sep 2016, 01:50

My OB-6 Desktop !

They are wise, they added a desktop model. (Not Subtract it like another Manufacturer we know). :wave:

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Muziksculp

Postby Moehh70 » 20 Sep 2016, 11:43

It's a really bad news/move for users who need rack because of space ... or just because 1 keyboard is enough.

It's even worse for the Nord Drum 3 module that will never see the shelves ...

:thumbdown:
My Red Family
  • Nord Lead 1 Rack + Expansion board & SC N°1
  • Nord Lead 3 Rack
  • Nord Modular Rack + Expansion board
  • Nord Modular G2
  • Nord Wave
  • Nord Lead A1 Rack
  • Nord Drum 2
Moehh70

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular