All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Best Audio interface for Nord+Monitors?

Postby SupiGagliardi » 17 Aug 2016, 00:35

Like the title says, Im looking into buying an audio interface, since I want to be able to use my monitors with my pc and my piano at the same time. Plus, I've done some research but im not 100% about the audio interface improving my krk rokit 6 sound, that would be a plus, since im not very satsfied about how they sound with 2 trs connected straight to the Nord.

Also I would plug a pair of headphones, Im yet deciding which one to buy, im between sennheiser 598, beyerdynamic and some other brands. Would an audio interface also replace a headphone amp?

Now about which audio interface to buy, im kinda in the dark in here, im looking for a not to expensive one, since I have yet to buy the headphones (150-250usd range), I was hoping for an audio interface around 100-120usd.
Many recommended the "Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen)" but im not sure it has enough entries for the nord, (left and right trs on nord and only 1 instrument input on audio interface) or maybe I could get a 2 trs cables that turns into one, don't know if thats a thing...
Bottomline: What would be the best audio interface I could get for my Nord, my krk monitors and a pair of headphones (that my need amp)?

As you can see im far from being an expert on this subject, so I know some of you guys know this stuff really well, It would be cool to hear some tips. Thanks!

Supi.
Last edited by SupiGagliardi on 17 Aug 2016, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
SupiGagliardi

Best Audio interface for Nord+Monitors?

Sponsor

Re: Best Audio interface for Nord+Monitors?

Postby notchdave » 17 Aug 2016, 09:50

Hi. I have a scarlett 2i2. Just listened to it through headphone from Nord and headphones from Scarlett. I cannot hear any difference. You have monitors out from the Scarlett but i dont think its going to do what you want it to do. Its job is to get the audio into the computer. Then you mix it from there. You could live mix it from your computer and get your KRK's into the computer but that would depend on how good your sound card it. Scarlett to a bigger model the 2i4 which has 2 mic and 2 line in inputs that would allow you to mic up and have stereo Nord.
notchdave

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby notchdave » 17 Aug 2016, 10:15

Not sure what Nord you have. The elctro 5 series has full on board eq and reverb. If you have not got that you could go through a small mixing desk Behringer or Alto are good. Make sure you get one with reverb. Then you can tweak the EQ and reverb to your liking. If you get a USB one you can get the audio into your PC (but it will only be one track).
notchdave

Postby SupiGagliardi » 17 Aug 2016, 10:37

Hmm I see, and with the scarlet 2i2 I can connect my nord and krks at the same time? so I can play music on my pc and play the nord at the same time and they would both sound through my krks?

About the piano sounds, I think the problem is the krks... I have yet to try the nord library with a good pair of headphones. I tried all the XL pianos, the italian grand, velvet, and so on, and they sound quite fake, don't know how to explain it really.
Now im trying the Yamaha studio 2 and Im liking that one after doing some eq (I have a nord piano 2) and reverb, If not that, I also use the Silver grand, but sometimes its too metallic for what I want to play. Hoping a good pair of headphones will make my nord sound to its fullest, i have yet to find the right pair.
Also, do you have speakers connected to your audio interface? does it replace an amp? anyways, thanks for the answer!

edit: Guess the best way to say it is: they don't sound like the demos on the nord website nor the youtube videos showcasing them.
Last edited by SupiGagliardi on 17 Aug 2016, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
SupiGagliardi

Postby notchdave » 17 Aug 2016, 17:24

The 2i2 has line outputs so you can monitor what is going into it But there is no way of getting any sound from a computers back out through the scarlett, there is no point. I still think you are confusing what the scarlett does. All it does in convert analogue into digital. To my ears it does not change the quality at all. As you have the stage 2 you have on board reverb and EQ. The KRK's produce a very dry sound. Thats what they are for, to monitor exactly what is coming through from the source. Maybe a small PA speaker would be better for you. You are not to far away from are you? IMO the Scarlett will not improve the audio to the KRK
notchdave

Postby SupiGagliardi » 17 Aug 2016, 19:40

notchdave wrote:The 2i2 has line outputs so you can monitor what is going into it But there is no way of getting any sound from a computers back out through the scarlett, there is no point. I still think you are confusing what the scarlett does. All it does in convert analogue into digital. To my ears it does not change the quality at all. As you have the stage 2 you have on board reverb and EQ. The KRK's produce a very dry sound. Thats what they are for, to monitor exactly what is coming through from the source. Maybe a small PA speaker would be better for you. You are not to far away from are you? IMO the Scarlett will not improve the audio to the KRK

Well you see, the main thing I need from an audio interface would be to use my krks on my PC and my nord at the same time. So for example I can be playing a song on spotify and playing the nord at the same time, and both sounds coming out from the krks, can the scarlet do that? And if not, how can I do that?. If it doesn't improve the sound, Im guessing the audio interface isn't the problem.

I tried the nord sound through a powered mixer (phonic 620) and two big Phonic PA and it sounded awful, the krks where heaven compared to that. but still, the sound i get from the krk is far from the sound I hear on videos or the Nord demos itself.
SupiGagliardi

Postby notchdave » 17 Aug 2016, 21:28

why cant you use just a mixer. Audio out (or even headphones out) from your computer into one channel. Your Nord stereo into 2 other channels and then output from the mixer to the KRK's. Dont use a mixer that is an amp as well or you will blow the KRK's. You want a mixer only.

The author notchdave was thanked by:
SupiGagliardi
notchdave

Postby SupiGagliardi » 17 Aug 2016, 21:33

notchdave wrote:why cant you use just a mixer. Audio out (or even headphones out) from your computer into one channel. Your Nord stereo into 2 other channels and then output from the mixer to the KRK's. Dont use a mixer that is an amp as well or you will blow the KRK's. You want a mixer only.

Oh ok, nice tip. So my phonic 620 could potentially blow my krks? The problem I had with that it was that the KRKs where both on MONO when I connected them to the mixer (and the powered mixer to the pc).

What does the audio interface have that the mixer doesn't?
And which mixer would you recommend? sorry for all the questions, you've been really helpful. Thank you.
SupiGagliardi

Postby notchdave » 17 Aug 2016, 21:58

The audio interface does not have anything you need. All it does is converst analogue audio to digital for processing in the computer or making an mp3. Your KRKs are active speakers. They have an amp inside them so if you plug them into a powered mixer they die a death. Plug your computer into one channel on the un powered mixer. Your Nord left and rights into the left and rights of a stereo channel. Then take the out signal Left and right into your KRKs. That will then be in stereo. A lower end Alto are good. I think better than behringer. If you get a usb one you can get a signal into your computer (like the scarlett - but it will only be the final mix one channel so you cant really do anything separate to each instrument)

The author notchdave was thanked by:
SupiGagliardi
notchdave

Postby Adams » 14 Sep 2016, 17:13

I have a Scarlett 2i2.

Monitors (KRKs, too) are connected to the outs.
Computer audio comes in (and goes out) on USB.
Keys are plugged into the Scarlett's 1/2 inputs.

With the direct monitoring switch ON, the keys will play so long as the interface is powered.

Recording is as you'd expect. Just arm the channels in your DAW.
Adams

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to Accessories and Amplification