This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Turning Midi control on and off mid-song

Postby hl1982 » 03 Sep 2016, 19:24

Hi - I have a question around Nord keyboards and Midi. I'm playing a NP2 so considered posting in the NP2 section but I'm guessing this applies across all Nord keyboards.

So I've connected my NP2 to a Novation Mininova Synthesizer - the midi out from my NP2 goes to the midi in on the Novation. Of course when I play notes on the NP2 the Novation plays simultaneously - Great.

However, what if I then want to stop the NP2 from activating the Novation when I play mid song? How would I best achieve this? I could quickly reach and turn the master volume down on the Novation and then turn it back up again when I need it, but that seems a bit clunky. Is there a better way to achieve this? What does everyone else do?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers, H
hl1982

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Turning Midi control on and off mid-song

Sponsor

Re: Turning Midi control on and off mid-song

Postby jfenton » 03 Sep 2016, 20:21

You could change your midi channel settings on either insrrument and that would do it, although it would be equally clunky. You could also unplug the midi cable or see if you could buy a midi switch box to turn it off and on. I think volume control is probably the best way but let's see if others chime in. Any other solution would probably require purchase of additional equipment.
Keyboards:
  • NS2 EX Compact 73
  • Hammond SK2
  • Roland VCombo VR-09
  • Roland A800-Pro
  • Behringer Motor 49
  • Alesis Q88

The author jfenton was thanked by:
hl1982
jfenton
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Mr_-G- » 03 Sep 2016, 20:57

Hm... Yes, a MIDI switch box to avoid connecting and disconnecting. Actually it might be more convenient to build a MIDI A/B switch box (really simple with a 2 pole switch) and connect only to output A, so when switching to B nothing is transmitted and you also have the chance to direct to another synth if needed.
However this is not a bullet proof solution because if you switch off the MIDI connection before releasing the keys or releasing a pedal or returning a pitch or modulation wheel to 0, the state of the slave synth will remain "as is": expect hanging notes and other disastrous events if you are not careful. Maybe your MiniNova has a panic button, in case that happens?
Some synths have (or had) "Active Sensing" (when stop receiving a special byte after 300ms the synth would generate an all notes OFF message). The NS2 does not send it or recognise AS :sad: so that won't work...
Perhaps a better solution is an audio A/B box or (just simpler) a volume pedal to control the slave output?

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
hl1982
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby pablomastodon » 04 Sep 2016, 07:48

given that any additional device switching device would necessarily entail you having to reach up and turn the knob, I'm not sure that this would be much of an improvement over reaching up to turn the (volume) knob which is already there on your slave synth. The pedal idea is a very good one.

Is it really all that "klunky" to have to turn a knob? Nords are all about knob turning already...

Another solution would be to use a Stage model instead and control the Novation via External Section. As you move through the programs on the Nord, the Novation can be made to respond or not respond automatically. No knobs, no pedals.

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby afroskully » 04 Sep 2016, 08:42

audio a/b footswitch is your best option. easy on/off when needed.
Last edited by afroskully on 04 Sep 2016, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
afroskully

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby pablomastodon » 04 Sep 2016, 15:30

personally, I never like adding additional devices to signal path if not necessary...I like Mr. G's control pedal on slave synth idea better (or turning the volume knob)
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to General Nord Forum