This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Keyboard chassis cleaning

Postby Spider » 25 Aug 2016, 18:40

Hi everybody,

I just got hold of an old Lead that had been lying unused for years in a studio -a smoker's studio :-x -... without any dust cover :roll: :sad:

Luckily it is fully functional, all buttons, knobs and keys work perfectly... testament to Nord's durability!
But it's dirty as hell so I have to do a VERY thorough cleaning.
I will not open it (if it's working, don't touch it!) but I want to clean all the exterior including keys, knobs and buttons. And the connections on the rear panel.
So far, the easiest part was to remove the knobs and wash them accurately with dish soap and alcohol - now they look like new again!
I also energetically cleaned all the non-sensitive parts of the chassis, but now there's the hardest part: the main panel with all the buttons, and the rear jack connectors.
Of course I will NOT use water, but I am wary anyway on the best way to proceed to avoid any damage to the board - it's already been mistreated enough, poor chick! ;)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: maybe after all it's better to remove the top panel, so I can clean it without worrying about the electronics below? Or are the buttons and knob shafts fixed to the panel, so there's no point in trying to remove it?
Last edited by Spider on 25 Aug 2016, 19:32, edited 3 times in total.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Keyboard chassis cleaning

Sponsor

Re: Keyboard chassis cleaning

Postby Ledbetter » 25 Aug 2016, 23:42

I suggest damp terrycloth. I wouldn't use any liquid other than water. Warm water if possible.
Nord Stage 3, Electro 5D, 4D, Lead 2x, Moog Voyager, Little and Slim Phatties, Kawai KG-2C 6 foot grand,

The author Ledbetter was thanked by:
Spider
Ledbetter
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby pablomastodon » 26 Aug 2016, 05:41

Dude, if she is that dirty, you really ought to completely strip her down to nothing. Open chassis, remove all electronics and clean everything. On those occasions when I have purchased old instruments like you describe, I pull off all the keys one by one and throw them in a bucket of soapy water and scrub them with old tooth brush. For well under $100 you can buy a new set of key contacts for her and she'll be like brand new when put back together.

If circuit boards are really bad, you may wish to ask a local tech to clean them up for you.

It'll be worth the time spent when you're done!

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
Spider
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Spider » 26 Aug 2016, 11:15

Thank you guys!
For the moment I carefully cleaned all the accessibile places with a slightly damp cloth and cotton swabs. Now it definitely looks like another board.
As long as it's working properly I prefer not to open up the chassis if I don't have to, I don't trust my tech skills so much. Thanks again!
:thumbup:
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Return to General Nord Forum