Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Nord Piano Mono output mode

Postby SorenP » 19 Aug 2011, 22:33

Hi everybody !!

I'm just wondering about the mono output function. It seems like the L and R channels are combined before the effects section in mono mode so the effects are still in stereo. Also the Epianos are not influenced, so they must be sampled in mono anyway. When gigging with my nord piano in a band i'm playing through a quite large stereo PA which also amplifies my B3 cloneorgan, vokals, guitar, and somtimes bass and drums.
Are anybody using the mono mode to get a more distinct acoustic piano sound in a similar band setting ?
Sometimes it seems like the wonderfull stereo grand piano samples are a bit unfocused in a setting like this. Most of the time am I using the Grand Lady D sample using a slightly modified Wcoastgrand program, without string resonance and pedal noise. When playing at home using headphones I think the mono sound is very weak compared to the wonderfull stereo sounds... Maybe NORD could come up with a special mono grand piano sample ?
Just my thoughts. Any comments are welcome.

Best Regards

SorenP
Last edited by SorenP on 31 Jul 2012, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
SorenP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

Nord Piano Mono output mode

Sponsor

Re: Nord Piano Mono output mode

Postby d tambellini » 19 Sep 2011, 20:44

I agree that converting the stereo Nord Piano 88 samples using the onboard "mono" function results in an unsatisfactory sound. I hope that Clavia will introduce a few HIGH QUALITY mono piano samples for those frequent occasions where there is only a mono PA system. Other manufacturers (eg Yamaha, Roland) have done this.
Last edited by d tambellini on 31 Jul 2012, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
d tambellini

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano

Postby d tambellini » 20 Sep 2011, 03:05

Further to my earlier post......I based my negative impression on the Nord piano MONO feature listening through headphones only. Having just listened to the samples in Mono through 2 speakers, I have to say that the sound is actually pretty good.
Last edited by d tambellini on 31 Jul 2012, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.

The author d tambellini was thanked by:
bluesbaba
d tambellini

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano

Postby merc707 » 15 Aug 2016, 16:03

so what happens to the FX? if they are post mono conversion? lol....like the rotary, is just half of it cut off if you use only one mono line out with mono mode turned on?
merc707

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum