Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord piano 3 in my home

Postby Rusty Mike » 03 Aug 2016, 23:42

I take a similar approach. I use a QSC K-8 and K-10. I mostly use the K-8, as it is loud and capable enough for my needs. I was using my Electro 3 in mono through a preamp, but now I simply connect the left and right outputs of the Nord into both channels of the K-8.

When I do gigs with FOH, I give them the A output from the QSC,and tell the sound guys it's line level and I don't control the volume. They love it. No direct box required, and I have more than adequate stage volume.

I use both speakers and run in stereo for large gigs with no FOH. Since the 8 has plenty of kick, this doesn't happen too often.

The other important thing is that I keep different programs for live and studio use. I have taylored the EQ and reverb for the QSC's, and altogether different settings for the studio. Don't ever expect your studio settings to fare well live. Aside from the different characteristics of the speakers, the room and band dynamics will greatly affect your sound.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Sponsor

Postby cphollis » 04 Aug 2016, 05:16

It's funny how much time and money we spend on the "right" keyboard, and completely skip doing the same for amplification. Your amplification is the essential link between your instrument and your audience's ears. Or your ears, if we're talking a FOH system.

Here in the US, the Nord Piano 3 sells for $2999. The Roland KC150 sells for $449. And people wonder why their great Nords don't sound so good through the KC150.

Imagine if you committed to spend an equal amount -- $3000 -- for amplification? Guitar players have learned this, why not keyboard players?
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
pablomastodon
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby pablomastodon » 04 Aug 2016, 05:41

I actually had someone write in a profanely nasty email to Nord's website complaining about the sound quality of his brand new Nord Piano. In phone conversation with him shortly after, I asked him what he was using for amplification. His rude tone immediately changed to one of friendly bragging: "I got this great deal on a Phonic kbd amp for only $99!"

:facepalm:
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby jfenton » 04 Aug 2016, 06:31

pablomastodon wrote:I actually had someone write in a profanely nasty email to Nord's website complaining about the sound quality of his brand new Nord Piano. In phone conversation with him shortly after, I asked him what he was using for amplification. His rude tone immediately changed to one of friendly bragging: "I got this great deal on a Phonic kbd amp for only $99!"

:facepalm:

:lol:
Keyboards:
  • NS2 EX Compact 73
  • Hammond SK2
  • Roland VCombo VR-09
  • Roland A800-Pro
  • Behringer Motor 49
  • Alesis Q88
jfenton
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Dave Ferris » 04 Aug 2016, 22:31

With my normal piano only live speaker setup, I have $3500 invested. The pair of RCF TT08As $2500 (open box) and $1000 for the JMK Audio JM-110 di/preamp.

And when I do PA for vocals and piano, I use my APB Dynasonics ProSpec 2U6M2S mixer which cost me $1200. Often enough I opt using the larger and heavier 12" TT22As over the 08As. They have better dispersion which makes it easier to hear the vocals. I have $3500 into those.

Highly gassing for a pair of L'Acoustic 108Ps or Acoustic Fulcrum FA28ACs….or both. :thumbup: 8-)
Last edited by Dave Ferris on 05 Aug 2016, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515, CP88
Dave Ferris

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby SupiGagliardi » 05 Aug 2016, 22:50

cphollis wrote:It's funny how much time and money we spend on the "right" keyboard, and completely skip doing the same for amplification. Your amplification is the essential link between your instrument and your audience's ears. Or your ears, if we're talking a FOH system.

Here in the US, the Nord Piano 3 sells for $2999. The Roland KC150 sells for $449. And people wonder why their great Nords don't sound so good through the KC150.

Imagine if you committed to spend an equal amount -- $3000 -- for amplification? Guitar players have learned this, why not keyboard players?

I see your point, I recently bought a nord piano 2 and a pair of krk rokit 6 for the sound, do you think I should have bought something better? I'm not that satisfied with the sound, at first i thought it was the nord samples, but now im doubting the krk's...
SupiGagliardi

Postby pablomastodon » 07 Aug 2016, 01:25

claro que si
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum