Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Nord Piano 2 + KRK = Disapointed?

Postby SupiGagliardi » 02 Aug 2016, 06:15

Hey guys! I got my np2 yesterday and a pair of krk rokit 6 3rd gen and I was so happy but really disappointed when i plugged everything, the setup is in my room, which is you could say, quite big, not enormous but it isn't a tiny room, I have my np2 and my krks in the corner of the room. Im really disappointed with the piano sounds, i couldn't find one sound that sounded real to me, I looked and read lots of posts in this forum about what it could be, I tried many EQ settings, downloaded the newer pianos like the velvet grand and silver grand, but they just sound very thin, the sound itself really unrealistic and like a recording (ironic) i can't get immersed, I find the sound shallow and with bad quality overall, but these sounds have such a reputation that there must be something wrong with me, maybe speaker placement, i have one on each side, just a little bit above my head, both aiming at me.
I absolutely love the CP 80, i found that sound VERY good.
One thing i think its worth mentioning is that i also have a 1/4 grand piano, so im familiar with a real piano sound. I think its a gunther bruxelles something like that.
Plus, I do not have any headphones, I read all over the forums that you should try it with headphones to see if you don't like the sound or there's something wrong with the speakers.
I'll try to upload a picture of my setup. Anyways, thanks for reading and maybe if you have an idea of what it can be, ill really apreciate it!

Edit: My setup http://imgur.com/NntyIwR

Last edited by SupiGagliardi on 02 Aug 2016, 16:08, edited 3 times in total.
SupiGagliardi

Nord Piano 2 + KRK = Disapointed?

Sponsor

Re: Nord Piano 2 + KRK = Disapointed?

Postby pablomastodon » 02 Aug 2016, 07:20

hmmm...not happy with the sound? looking at frequency response data for these speakers, the low end disappears over a very steep cliff at around 40Hz. This could certainly contribute to "thin" sound on a grand piano.

Sound On Sound magazine, a highly respected UK publication, had this to say, in pertinent part (emphasis added):

The performance of the Rokit 6 G3 has to be evaluated within the context of its selling price, which places it in the entry–level camp. So while these speakers don’t create quite the same impression of a 3D sound stage as high–end speakers, nor do they exhibit the same sense of sharp focus, they do deliver a good overall tonal balance with clarity in the highs and decent stereo imaging. I found the lows to be in keeping with a speaker of this size, though, being critical, there is some sense of lower-mid–range congestion just above the bass region which can, on some material, take on a slightly boxy character.

The reviewer is being very gentle here when he charitably writes: "I found the lows to be in keeping with a speaker of this size." That's a polite way of saying that the low end is not good.

If you buy a Ferrari and fill the tank with low octane petrol, you should not be surprised if you do not get the Ferrari performance you expected when you push the pedal to the floor. Frankly, I think that the KRK advertising tricked you into thinking that you could get high quality cheaply. Old adages become old adages by being true: you get what you pay for. Lo siento mucho to sound so brutal about it, but that is, I believe, the truth of the matter.

Perhaps this would be improved by adding a subwoofer, but IMHO swapping out the 6" KRKs for something else, even if you stick with the KRK brand, would give you better results. MUCH has been written in this forum about speakers -- you will find many, many opinions if you search for threads on speakers, amps, etc.

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
SupiGagliardi
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby SupiGagliardi » 02 Aug 2016, 07:28

pablomastodon wrote:hmmm...not happy with the sound? looking at frequency response data for these speakers, the low end disappears over a very steep cliff at around 40Hz. This could certainly contribute to "thin" sound on a grand piano.

Sound On Sound magazine, a highly respected UK publication, had this to say, in pertinent part (emphasis added):

The performance of the Rokit 6 G3 has to be evaluated within the context of its selling price, which places it in the entry–level camp. So while these speakers don’t create quite the same impression of a 3D sound stage as high–end speakers, nor do they exhibit the same sense of sharp focus, they do deliver a good overall tonal balance with clarity in the highs and decent stereo imaging. I found the lows to be in keeping with a speaker of this size, though, being critical, there is some sense of lower-mid–range congestion just above the bass region which can, on some material, take on a slightly boxy character.

The reviewer is being very gentle here when he charitably writes: "I found the lows to be in keeping with a speaker of this size." That's a polite way of saying that the low end is not good.

If you buy a Ferrari and fill the tank with low octane petrol, you should not be surprised if you do not get the Ferrari performance you expected when you push the pedal to the floor. Frankly, I think that the KRK advertising tricked you into thinking that you could get high quality cheaply. Old adages become old adages by being true: you get what you pay for. Lo siento mucho to sound so brutal about it, but that is, I believe, the truth of the matter.

Perhaps this would be improved by adding a subwoofer, but IMHO swapping out the 6" KRKs for something else, even if you stick with the KRK brand, would give you better results. MUCH has been written in this forum about speakers -- you will find many, many opinions if you search for threads on speakers, amps, etc.

Bless, Pablo

First of all, thank you for the really good response! It actually gives me some hope to think its a problem with the speakers and not the with nord sounds, since I was really hyped. Maybe I should try using headphones... something like senheiser HD598? I don't know a lot about headphones and what goes well with nord pianos, to be more precise.
Is there anything I can do to change this? Because im not 100% it's about the bass, I wish someone could hear exactly what I hear, the lower octaves sound really good to me, it's the higher ones that sound shallow, unrealistic and overall not nice.
SupiGagliardi

Postby Horacio » 02 Aug 2016, 08:30

Hola, mirá qué casualidad, yo también soy de Argentina, tengo un Nord y un par de KRK rokit 6, y la verdad que a mí me suenan excelentes, o al menos eso es lo que percibo, estoy más que conforme con el sonido, pero no sé, por ahí vos al tener un piano de cola de verdad y compararlo por ahí te decepcionaste, pero la verdad es que yo estoy muy conforme. Obvio que hay opciones de mejor calidad, pero más caras. Abrazo!

The author Horacio was thanked by:
SupiGagliardi
Horacio

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Mr_-G- » 02 Aug 2016, 10:31

Hi, @Horacio: the language of the forum is English. It is extremely frustrating for others to see posts in a language they do not understand. If you want to communicate to others in a different language please use the private messages. Thank you.
Mr_-G-

Postby NordIOW » 02 Aug 2016, 10:32

Is this a joke?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
NordIOW

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Postby SupiGagliardi » 02 Aug 2016, 14:53

NordIOW wrote:Is this a joke?

What is?
SupiGagliardi

Postby NordIOW » 02 Aug 2016, 14:55

I am gobsmacked that you could not find one decent piano sound. They are real sampled pianos!

NordIOW

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Postby SupiGagliardi » 02 Aug 2016, 14:56

Do you have to EQ them to sound good to you? or just by default?
SupiGagliardi

Postby Horacio » 02 Aug 2016, 15:43

Sorry Mr. G, you're right.
Horacio

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum