Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

NORD DRUM 2 & ELECTRIBE 2

Postby SvayDrums » 30 Jul 2016, 10:48

Hi guys :)

I just got my Korg Electribe 2 and was immediately trying to hook it up with the ND2 ( so triggering sounds in the ND from the E2).
That works perfectly fine intially, but two weird problems:

- Pad 1 on the E2 triggers Ch1 on the ND, as it should be. But Pad 10 also triggers that same channel? Ch1 is the only one that weirdly gets triggered by two pads.

- There is no velocity :( even when I adjust velocity on the E2 and adjust the Threshold and Sensitivity ob the ND2, the signal is quite weak, so no dynamics.

Has anybody used that same setup yet and might know what the issies are?

Best, Sven
SvayDrums

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

NORD DRUM 2 & ELECTRIBE 2

Sponsor

Re: NORD DRUM 2 & ELECTRIBE 2

Postby wartaler » 31 Jul 2016, 00:14

Hi Sven!
Nice combination E2 and ND2!

It don't know the E2, only from youtube, I'll give it a shot anyway..

The simplest explanation is that your E2 outputs the same MIDI note with pad #10 as with pad #1
The problem could be more complex, it depends a bit on how flexible you can program MIDI settings on the E2, I didn't look that up..

I'd first check the MIDI settings of your E2, check which note is set for pad #10 and compare this with the note set for pad #1. If it's the same, alter the note set for pad #10.

If that wasn't the problem, I wonder if the MIDI output channel can be set per pad on the E2..
If so, check if the MIDI output channel of pad #10 is different than the rest, change it, and/or do the following:
On the ND2 switch off all the inividual MIDI channels; for each channel find this parameter under MIDI settings, and make sure they're all set to [Ch.OF] (unless you really want to use this feature to eg adjust parameters, note pitches per Channel)

The velocity curve/sensitivity/threshold settings on the ND2 only apply for drum pads connected directly to the ND2,
It must be on the E2 side, also a MIDI setting perhaps, -but are the pads velocity sensitive to start with?

Hope this helps..
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 31 Jul 2016, 01:09, edited 3 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by:
pablomastodon
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby SvayDrums » 31 Jul 2016, 08:57

Thanks Albert :)
Yeah so after fiddeling around with the midi settings it seems to work kinda fine now.
The E2 pads are velocity sensitive, and actually the ND now responds dynamically (E2 requires to change a setting for that for every freaking pad in each pattern -.-).
However, I can't get that 'full power' sound (peak LED lighting up), only with the Nord Pad connected. Even with full velocity (127) on the E2.

Can you actually manage to get the maximum force hit with midi triggering in general? Or is the voltage coming from an external synth simply too low?
SvayDrums

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby hurst » 20 Jan 2019, 01:51

SvayDrums wrote:Thanks Albert :)
Yeah so after fiddeling around with the midi settings it seems to work kinda fine now.
The E2 pads are velocity sensitive, and actually the ND now responds dynamically (E2 requires to change a setting for that for every freaking pad in each pattern -.-).
However, I can't get that 'full power' sound (peak LED lighting up), only with the Nord Pad connected. Even with full velocity (127) on the E2.

Can you actually manage to get the maximum force hit with midi triggering in general? Or is the voltage coming from an external synth simply too low?

Hi there I'm having the exact same problem except I'm using an SP-16 to sequence it. Each drum on it's own midi channel working fine at max velocity but can't seem to hit the focus impact where the red led lights up and you get the full hit. I've been using the trigger button and sampling the individual drum sounds but this is not a real solution really.
hurst

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Postby wartaler » 20 Jan 2019, 10:39

Hi hurst,
Can you check if the SP-16 is sending MIDI notes at velocity 127? Perhaps you have to adjust the sensitivity/velocity curve settings on the SP-16.
Cheers,
Albert
wartaler

Postby hurst » 25 Jan 2019, 01:59

wartaler wrote:Hi hurst,
Can you check if the SP-16 is sending MIDI notes at velocity 127? Perhaps you have to adjust the sensitivity/velocity curve settings on the SP-16.
Cheers,
Albert

Hi there I have midi notes being sent with velocity off which means it should be hitting at max velocity.
hurst

Postby wartaler » 25 Jan 2019, 12:44

Hi,
I just checked, same here; the red (peak) light doesn't blink when I send a MIDI note with velocity 127 (=max).
Although I didn't measure it, I don't hear a difference between triggering with the Trig button (set at 20 = max) and triggering with MIDI at 127. What surprises me is that the peak light doesn't always light up with the Trig button either, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't... but I never hear any difference in level.
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 25 Jan 2019, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
wartaler

Postby hurst » 02 Feb 2019, 01:24

There's definitely a difference in tone when I go full velocity using my sequencer and when I push the full velocity trigger button on the nord drum 2 itself. The full velocity has a full hit while the sequencer at full velocity doesn't provide the full hit.
hurst

Postby wartaler » 03 Feb 2019, 17:28

Hi,
I tried to replicate and analyse your problem by recording the ND2 and comparing the levels between drum sounds triggered with the trigger button vs MIDI notes at 127, but I found no difference, whatever sound I tried.

If you're sure that the note-on velocity that is sent to the ND2 is indeed 127, ...I'm puzzled,
-Does it occur with all drum sounds, or with some?
-Perhaps I can replicate it with the same drum sounds if you want to share them

-What OS is your ND2 on?

Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 04 Feb 2019, 08:07, edited 5 times in total.
wartaler

Postby wartaler » 04 Feb 2019, 09:27

hang on.. you're using Individual MIDI channels, I tested it by triggering the ND2 using the Global MIDI channel, if you're using the Individual MIDI channels, you'll have to send MIDI note 60 to make sure the pitch is the same as with the trigger button.. I will check and come back with you later..
wartaler

Next

Return to Nord Drum Forum