Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Wrong Rack Ears for NL4r?

Postby cosmodrome » 03 Jul 2016, 14:29

Hi everyone. I just bought an almost new Nord Lead 4 R for a quite reasonable price as a replacement for my somewhat aged NL1R. The synth is in perfectly mint condition - well, almost. It seems that I got the wrong set of rack mounts (AKA "rack ears") with it. :? Hardly a big deal, usually. The problem is just that I can't seem to find any replacement. Clavia Nord just mention them as "included accessiores". But they don't sell them. Nor does anyone else. I could not even find a picture of them anywhere on the internet and I really don't want to have the synth sitting on my desktop while staring at a 4 HU gap in the middle of my rack.
Anyone got a hint where to get rack mounts that might fit? Or at least a drawing or photo of the original ones, so I can cut some L-profile and drill holes in it?
cosmodrome

Wrong Rack Ears for NL4r?

Sponsor

Re: Wrong Rack Ears for NL4r?

Postby cosmodrome » 25 Jul 2016, 06:24

OK. Seems my (and everyone elses without rack mounts) options are
  • pay outrageous 45.- € at eBay for a pair of 3rd party rack ears
  • make them yourself
The second option is not really rocket science, supposed you have a metal saw, a drill, some drill bits ca 2-5.5mm (for steel - not for wood or stone!), some oil (vegetable, mineral, whatever...), a vice, a punch, a scriber and sufficient skills not to drill (or even kill) yourself in the course of drilling 8 small holes in a piece of steel profile.
I've uploaded a little sketch where to position the drillings. It turned out that the two holes closer to the edges (meant to fit the corresponding ones in your NL4's case) should better be 5.5mm than 5mm and one or two millimiters further on the outside.
Any standard 2mm * 20mm * 20mm L-profile from the local hardware store should do. Rather cheap stuff, even the stainless or coated variants. You'll most likely best off to pay a few cents extra and get them ready cut at the store if possible. Otherwise get about half a meter of profile and cut them yourself. No problem if they're a mm or two longer than drafted - but avoid cutting them any shorter!

P.S.: mark the positions for the holes with scriber and punch, drill 2mm first and (depending on your drill) bore them in two or three steps up to the required 5.5 or 7 mm. Use some oil!
Attachments
rackears.png
tech drawing
rackears.png (196.91 KiB) Viewed 854 times
Last edited by cosmodrome on 25 Jul 2016, 06:27, edited 2 times in total.
cosmodrome

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum