This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Gain vs. Master Level

Postby MagicmanMark » 11 Jul 2016, 23:04

When playing piano or EP, what should I be using for volume, the gain knob or master level knob?
#GEAR-KORG X50 ROLAND JUNO-G YAMAHA MOXF6 NORD ELECTRO5D ROLAND VR09 ROLAND XP80
MagicmanMark

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Gain vs. Master Level

Sponsor

Re: Gain vs. Master Level

Postby stiiiiiiive » 11 Jul 2016, 23:24

The gain setting is stored with a program; the master volume is... well, the master volume :)
Minkovski FB
Toxic Overdrive Deezer
DNOT Deezer FB

The author stiiiiiiive was thanked by:
MagicmanMark
stiiiiiiive

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby jfenton » 11 Jul 2016, 23:41

Well, I start with master volume around mid way. I then adjust the external mixer or amp to desired listening. Then I start messing around with individual instruments until I get the right mix. Once you get the right mix, save the program. This will set individual instruments to the right balance. Then if I need to increase or decrease volume from there, I use the master to maintain the individual instrument balance. I start with it at 1/2 way so I have some headroom if I need it.

For individual instruments playback I try to use just the level of the individual instrument and leave the master alone (unless I run out of headroom). This could be needed especially for organ where drawbar selection can affect the instrument volume.

Note: No-one ever told me this. It was from school of hard knocks. If anyone has better suggestion, I happy to learn a better way.
Last edited by jfenton on 11 Jul 2016, 23:44, edited 2 times in total.
Keyboards:
  • NS2 EX Compact 73
  • Hammond SK2
  • Roland VCombo VR-09
  • Roland A800-Pro
  • Behringer Motor 49
  • Alesis Q88

The author jfenton was thanked by 4 members, including:
mi-jiJustPianoGuypablomastodonMagicmanMark
jfenton
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby dkernohan » 12 Jul 2016, 15:00

Ideally you should use the "gain" to get the volume of each patch right - the "master" adjusts the overall volume of the keyboard. So you use the "gain" to balance your patches, then you set the "master" for the whole keyboard when you get to the gig.

One thing to watch is that the amp simulators actually do, erm, amplify the sound - a lot! So the "gain" can be used to keep that in check.

The author dkernohan was thanked by:
MagicmanMark
dkernohan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Return to General Nord Forum