Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Replacing my NL4 with a Pro 2 or Modal 001?

Postby Motion Drive » 29 May 2016, 22:33

I have to confess, I'm getting slightly bored with my NL4. The NL4 is great for what it does. But somehow I have always the feeling, that I can do those sounds with my Virus TI or some software aswell. Now, as I would like to add something new to my setup (NL4, Virus TI, Little Phatty) I was thinking to replace the NL by either the DSI Pro 2 or the Modal 001. I know, both of them are Monophonic or paraphonic, but I actually never did poly sounds with my NL, as I think theres better stuff out there for this. Those two synths have both a special sound wich could fill a gap, where as the NL has a lot common ground with Virus and software like Disco etc.

Any inputs on that? Someone can convince me to keep the NL :D

Or do you think it would be stupid to replace the NL by one of the two mentiont?

thx for inputs
Motion Drive

Replacing my NL4 with a Pro 2 or Modal 001?

Sponsor

Re: Replacing my NL4 with a Pro 2 or Modal 001?

Postby Muziksculp » 30 May 2016, 05:01

Hi Motion Drive,

You have a very nice combo of Synths. (NL4, Virus Ti, and the Moog Little Phatty), I have all of these as well, and some other Synths.

I would not advise you change your setup by eliminating some of these great sounding Synths, but I would rather add to your current setup. i.e. you do not have a polyphonic Analog Synth, so maybe you could consider a DSI Prophet 08 (Desktop version) https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/prophet-08-module/ which is quite a bit lower priced than other options for Analog Polyphonic Synths in its class. Another option is the new Korg Minilogue, it will give you 4-analog voices of polyphony. http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/minilogue/ I don't have it, but it seems to be a popular synth, that is on the economic side of the price range.

You could also consider adding the DSI Prophet 6 (Desktop Model) if that is something you can afford to add to your setup at this time, or possibly later on. https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/prophet-6-desktop/

Both the Modal and DSI synths you mentioned are 2-voice Synths, so I'm not sure they will be adding a lot to your setup. given you have the Little Phatty, which is great for analog lead sounds, big basses. I don't know much about the Modal 01, so I can't comment much, but I feel it is kind of limiting if you compared it to what the NL4 offers you. :)

I hope this is kind of helpful.

In Summery, If it was me, I wouldn't get rid of the NL4. imho. It is a gem of a synth. If it was stolen, I would go ahead and buy another one instantly. Again, don't forget that this is just my personal opinion, and I'm a big fan of the NL4. Others might have very different opinions. Adding an Analog-Poly-Synth such as the Prophet 08 Desktop, or the Korg Minilogue would be a very good way to add a contrasting/different sonic character, and functionality to your current setup.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Last edited by Muziksculp on 30 May 2016, 05:14, edited 5 times in total.
Muziksculp

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Motion Drive » 30 May 2016, 11:06

Thx for the detailed inputs. Of course I was thinking about those synths you mention as well. The thing with DSI is; actually I never really liked them (P8, P12, Pro 2). Always thought they sound somehow metallic and harsh. Now the P6 and OB6 for sure have this classic analogue tone, but thats not what I'm after. I don't use those 80s like vintage sounds a lot actually. In a synth I'm looking for new unheard sounds which fit into my music (check my soundcloud if you like :P ). I'm looking for those psychedelic "out of this world" sounds. Thats why VA-Synths give me mostly what I'm looking for. But recently I checked several Demos of the DSI Pro 2 and realised, this synth has some really cool features and a special sound. Same goes for the Modal.

Now with the Virus I cover a huge range, where as the NL4 doesn't offer something super special on top....at least for me. One analogue Synth is enough, the LP is good for some bubbly leads etc. For Polyphony its not a big deal, I almost never use the NL4 for pads and poly sounds. I just feel pads and stuff like this VST's can do so much better (DIVA, Omnisphere etc.) Thas why I use the NL mostly for Leads. Don't get me wrong...the NL is a great synth, no doubt. But I have the feeling the NL cant give me anything new anymore.

Well well...I'm not really sure what to do. Maybe I just have the GAS for something new. :D
Motion Drive

Postby lindman » 30 May 2016, 12:35

I have both NL4 and Pro2 and will never want to loose any of them.I think they have very different qualities and complement each other well. Pro2 wins for me regarding tweaking it and messing around but in the end it is a mono synth although a great one.
lindman

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby Muziksculp » 30 May 2016, 19:03

Motion Drive wrote:Thx for the detailed inputs. Of course I was thinking about those synths you mention as well. The thing with DSI is; actually I never really liked them (P8, P12, Pro 2). Always thought they sound somehow metallic and harsh. Now the P6 and OB6 for sure have this classic analogue tone, but thats not what I'm after. I don't use those 80s like vintage sounds a lot actually. In a synth I'm looking for new unheard sounds which fit into my music (check my soundcloud if you like :P ). I'm looking for those psychedelic "out of this world" sounds. Thats why VA-Synths give me mostly what I'm looking for. But recently I checked several Demos of the DSI Pro 2 and realised, this synth has some really cool features and a special sound. Same goes for the Modal.

Now with the Virus I cover a huge range, where as the NL4 doesn't offer something super special on top....at least for me. One analogue Synth is enough, the LP is good for some bubbly leads etc. For Polyphony its not a big deal, I almost never use the NL4 for pads and poly sounds. I just feel pads and stuff like this VST's can do so much better (DIVA, Omnisphere etc.) Thas why I use the NL mostly for Leads. Don't get me wrong...the NL is a great synth, no doubt. But I have the feeling the NL cant give me anything new anymore.

Well well...I'm not really sure what to do. Maybe I just have the GAS for something new. :D

Hi Motion Drive,

If you use VSTs like DIVA, Ominisphere, and others ... then you should have a lot of tools to experiment with. I understand your point as to not needing any Poly-Analog Synths. based on your music genre/style.

I enjoyed listening to your music at your soundcloud chennel. Oh.. Just in case you still have some GAS ;) , have you checked out the new Yamaha Montage ? I think the Montage would be great for Chill and Trance music, and much more !

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Muziksculp

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum