Volume Grand vs. Rhodes Live

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
jonilikeskeys
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Volume Grand vs. Rhodes Live

Post by jonilikeskeys »

Hey everybody,
this morning I was playing with the gospel choir at a open air service of a local music festival in the center of my town.. I had prepared some programs for every song, mostly grands + organ, but 2-3 with some rhodes. I could hear myself - the grands - very clearly and loud on my speaker on stage. But whenever I wanted to play the rhodes I was shocked, I couldn't almost hear anything, so I quickly changed the piano back to the (silver) grand ...
I quickly checked the outputs (1&2) of my NS2 and didn't really hear a difference in volume between grands and rhodes, strange though .. does anyone know this issue? was it maybe the speaker on the stage next to me that really pushed the higher frequencies of the grand and swallowed the rhodes (lower frequencies) sounds..? But I could swear the difference was surprisingly huge! I have my NS2 now for three years and have put it through all sorts of smaller / middle gigs - never had such a difference in volume!
Everyone have a great sunday ;)
Last edited by jonilikeskeys on 29 May 2016, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
maurus
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Re: Volume Grand vs. Rhodes Live

Post by maurus »

I'm pretty sure it was indeed how your monitor handled the treble vs. the mids and lows. Did you have a lot going on in the mix in the latter range?
Last edited by maurus on 29 May 2016, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
jonilikeskeys
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Post by jonilikeskeys »

hey! well I guess you're right.. It was just really strange and absolutely surprised me, because the grand sounded "full" to my ears.. I only build my programs with my headphones at home (as I'm still at university there's no other way), so I already had the experience, that a grand for example sounded perfect on the headphones, supported by an organ in a very transparent mix! but once I got to the gig it sounded quite often too harsh / too agressive and the organ didn't get out at all. So I find it quite hard to adjust the headphone mix to what I think it should sound later at the gig.. But I guess, that's what you have to live with as a max. semi-professional ;)
dhbp-nord
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by dhbp-nord »

Headphones vs live monitoring is usually 2 different beasts yes.

DH
-Nord Stage 3 88
-Novation SL MKII 61
-Rise 2
-Alesis Q88
-Roland AX-09
-Focusrite 18i20
-ASUS ROG laptop, 32gb, 6 TB SSDs, Win11, Ableton 11, Reaper
-Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian
-Arturia, Komplete, IK suites
-Behringer X18
-StagePas 400i