All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Any Tips on Opening Up / Repairing Yamaha FC-7?

Postby Mr. Marko » 03 Oct 2015, 00:54

I suspect the cable or connection to the pot is damaged but not certain.

Have any of you taken one apart?

Thanks
NS4 / NS3 / NS-EX / Modular G1 / G2 / G2X / NL3
Basically Too Many Nords to Haul to a Gig
Mr. Marko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Any Tips on Opening Up / Repairing Yamaha FC-7?

Sponsor

Re: Any Tips on Opening Up / Repairing Yamaha FC-7?

Postby keyplayer88 » 03 Apr 2016, 17:43

Yes, but its not easy to get into. I have had to do this a couple of times because the centre wire had broken. The cable is bent sharply and doubles back on itself as it enters the pedal which seems to cause the problem. Disconnect the pedal first. Unbolt the pedal top, (two spanners one each side,) remove the bolt, the top should then just pull off. Make sure to retain the metal washers and plastic bushes. This will allow access to the plastic block containing the potentiometer and spring. This block must also be removed, undo the 'Pedal Angle Set' screw which seems only to secure this plastic block. Once loosened the block can be slid out, as the other end is just slid into the base section.

Once removed, this block can be prised apart (two halves), when you do this try to keep the spring mechanism in place or at least remember how it is placed in case it gets dislodged (some gaffer can help keep it temporarily in place). You will need to cut the cable and work towards the jack end until the broken part of the cable is located. This will be apparent when the wire just pulls out of its sleeve. This will most likely be where the cable enters the pedal. Un-solder the wires from the potentiometer noting the colours, then having removed the broken section and prepared the cable ends, re-solder the cable.

Bend the cable through its original path into the pedal (a bit fiddly) then rejoin the two halves of the plastic block making sure the spring mechanisn is situated correctly. Re-tighten the 'Pedal Angle Set' screw making sure the plastic block is located in the base unit. Then refit the pedal top ensuring the plastic bushes and metal washes are correctly placed. Not easy but can be managed if you have some mecahanical and soldering abilities.
Last edited by keyplayer88 on 09 Apr 2016, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
keyplayer88

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX

Postby afroskully » 12 Apr 2016, 19:15

I just got an FC-7 but i'm wondering how the hell to apply this thing to a pedalboard with all that rubber on the bottom. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
afroskully

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby DJKeys » 12 Apr 2016, 20:49

afroskully wrote:I just got an FC-7 but i'm wondering how the hell to apply this thing to a pedalboard with all that rubber on the bottom. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I use doublestick velcro on mine, but the board is plexiglass-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre