Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

NL4: change program / perf externally

Postby ihearanewworld » 05 Apr 2016, 09:16

Hello, I've recently purchased an NL4r, and have been very happy with it. I also recently purchased a Nektar Panorama P6 MIDI/USB controller, and am attempting to set up a preset for the NL4. Every button, fader and encoder on the Panorama is capable of sending MIDI CC, or NRPN, or whatever. Right now, I am just looking to change programs / banks / performances on the NL4 from the P6. I started writing this post when I was having no luck in achieving this goal, but as I wrote and experimented, I figured some things out. I'm leaving the rest of the (extremely lengthy) post as I wrote it in real time for anyone who is curious about the P6, or has one already and has similar questions as I do.

Does anyone on here use the Nektar Panorama line in conjunction with their Nord Lead? Any tips would be appreciated.

Some of the buttons on the P6 have an option to send message type "program (step)". So far, by setting one of the P6 buttons to send "Program (step)" changes, with the "start" value at 0 and the "stop" value at 50, I can step through the performances, in increasing values. If I set the "start" value at 50 and the "stop" value at 0, I can cycle through the performances in decreasing value. If I am in program mode on the NL4, pressing the same button on the P6 causes the NL4 to change to performance mode.

Other options for buttons on the Panorama that seem pertinent to what I am trying to do are: MIDI CC, MIDI CC (toggle), MIDI CC (step) and various NRPN types.

:idea: I just discovered that the encoders on the P6 can send message type: "Program". If I set an encoder to that, and then the maximum value at 50 and the minimum at 0, I can scroll through the Performances on the NL4.

Back to the buttons. Another option for the buttons on the P6 is message type "Program & Bank". The parameters for this are: Program number, Bank MSB number and Bank LSB number (in addition to other parameters that don't pertain to my goal). If I set those three parameters to 0, the NL4 switches to Program 1.1. If I change the Bank LSB to 1, and keep all the other parameters the same, the NL4 switches to Program 2.1, and so on. I had tried this same thing earlier, but looking at the Nord manual, it said the Bank Select MSB is "0", and the Bank Select LSB is "32", which confused me. I suppose that the "Program & Bank" function on the P6 is set up to send CC00 + CC32, plus a program change message. Setting the Bank LSB parameter to 4 or 5 on the P6 does not change the NL4 to Performance mode, as I would expect it to.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can switch between Performance and Program mode from the P6? Does anyone use a Panorama with their Nord gear?
http://soundcloud.com/ihearanewworld
Nord Lead 4R, Nord Drum 2, DSI Pro 2, Roland XP60, Ensoniq ESQ1, Dreadbox Erebus, MPC1000, Lowrey Wandering Genie!, etc.
ihearanewworld

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

NL4: change program / perf externally

Sponsor

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum