Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Documentation for Linux Support (NP3)

Postby blues » 12 Feb 2016, 10:34

Hello

I do not own a Nord keyboard but I will probably buy an NP3 once available. I had a look around in the forums and online more generally regarding Linux support with largely negative results (I hope I haven't missed anything). I could implement the necessary programs myself (OS updates, sample management, etc) if there was sufficient documentation available. So the question is, do the keyboards come with any technical documentation that would allow someone to do this? More than the user manual?
blues

Documentation for Linux Support (NP3)

Sponsor

Re: Documentation for Linux Support (NP3)

Postby Marlowes » 12 Feb 2016, 10:46

Hej Blues!

I doubt that. I've been into Linux some years ago (IT pro) but never found any real support for Nord products. :(

Go Mac. I did. Very happy now! :idea:

/Vänligen
Michael in Scania
NE3HP, NP88, NS2, DPP1, NL2X, NL2X, NLA1, NL4, NE5D, NW2 (Collect Them All?), some classic Rolands, Arturias, a Waldorf, a Kurz, a WONOK3, a pile of guitars, a P-bass, loopers, amps and computers ...
I'm a gearslut! :oops:
Marlowes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby maurus » 12 Feb 2016, 11:13

I'd say, if you are serious about programming something, get in touch with Clavia about this, they might be willing to let you know whether this is doable or not. Who knows, in the end you might even work out something for/with them that could later be added to their products.
maurus

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby maxpiano » 12 Feb 2016, 11:17

Nord (as other manufacturers)does not disclose the communication protocol between their librarian SW tools and their synths, so I am afraid what you want to do is not possible unless Nord will hire you for that (and own the intellectual property of your final work products, with you signing the necessary non-disclosure agreements etc...)

As an alternative you may try to run the Windows version of Nord SW tools under Wine (or a Windows VirtualMachine running inside Linux, which obviously works)
Last edited by maxpiano on 12 Feb 2016, 11:24, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Frantz » 12 Feb 2016, 12:56

maurus wrote:I'd say, if you are serious about programming something, get in touch with Clavia about this, they might be willing to let you know whether this is doable or not. Who knows, in the end you might even work out something for/with them that could later be added to their products.

+1
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Frantz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Mr_-G- » 12 Feb 2016, 20:59

blues wrote:Hello
I do not own a Nord keyboard but I will probably buy an NP3 once available. I had a look around in the forums and online more generally regarding Linux support with largely negative results (I hope I haven't missed anything).

One problem is that the Windows drive does not install under Wine. If you can solve that, we should have all the tools working under linux. The sample manager works, but just does not communicate to the Nord instrument. So annoying! :-x
Somebody claimed that under VirtualBox, if you install Windows XP, the driver can be made to work, but I have not tried it. It would be very nice to have it all working without Windows at all, because it would allowto carry on using the tools way beyond the built-in obsolescence of other operating systems.
If you are serious about it maybe you should contact Clavia, as others suggested.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby blues » 14 Mar 2016, 02:59

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I already thought it was unlikely. Once I got the NP3, I will just reach out to Clavia as suggested to find out what is possible. If not, a VM/NUC/Mac mini will do.

:thanks:

PS Sorry for the late reply. Been on vacation.
blues

Postby dkernohan » 14 Mar 2016, 15:06

Just to add a more general point that for older, discontinued, instruments (eg the NE/NE2) I think it would help Clavia to release full documentation of interface protocols and file formats. Even if Clavia are unable to support further development, there is a huge user community that would gladly do so.

The author dkernohan was thanked by:
dmamfmgm
dkernohan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum