This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Which Nord piano samples work best in mono?

Postby michael_C1 » 17 Jan 2016, 02:53

Like many of us, I'd prefer to play in stereo all the time but it's often not feasible on the small gigs I do. So, I'd like to find a few Nord acoustic pianos that would sound good in mono in exposed passages, especially in the midrange.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
michael_C1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Which Nord piano samples work best in mono?

Sponsor

Re: Which Nord piano samples work best in mono?

Postby TomS » 17 Jan 2016, 06:10

All of em....
TomS

Re: Which Nord piano samples work best in mono?

Postby Rusty Mike » 17 Jan 2016, 16:28

It will greatly depend on your playing style, the type of music you play and the character of the sound you are looking for. A few tips to think about:
  1. The EQ is your friend
  2. Try going out the right channel instead of the left "mono" channel
  3. The EQ is your friend
  4. Back off the reverb
  5. The EQ is your friend
  6. Experiment with ALL of the piano samples (including the uprights) using your regular amplification
  7. The EQ is your friend!

There is no one simple answer that everyone will agree on. Our ears and needs are all different. The great thing about the Nord Piano Library is the variety. There is great stuff in there for all of us.

That said, lately I've been using the Silver Grand, and experimenting with the Velvet Grand. I also keep at least one upright, which lately has been the Queen Upright. I'm also very fond of Studio Grand 2, BlueSwede Upright and the Black Upright. I play mostly traditional jazz, a bit a fusion and a bit of R&B. I personally prefer the warmer, darker samples so these may not work for you.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP

The author Rusty Mike was thanked by:
michael_C1
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Return to General Nord Forum