Outputs

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Lophophora
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Re: Outputs

Post by Lophophora »

Yeah the Stage 2 was designed for live use, not studio, but still it would have been nice to offer this ability.
Mr_-G-
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Mr_-G- »

Hi, please read about the use of the outputs in the manual? They are not all the same,
Graspieper
Patch Creator

Post by Graspieper »

Hi, I'm using the DXR10 myself.
I run 1&2 to the PA, and a mono 1/4 cable from the headphones socket to the mono input of the DXR.
Works reasonably well. I also built a small box with a 10k volume potmeter to be able to adjust the level to the DXR, independant from the main level.

kind regards!
These users thanked the author Graspieper for the post:
Per L
hijlko
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage EX

Post by hijlko »

In stead of 3 & 4 you could use the headphones output (with a proper cable of course). This way you do not have to switch.
Mr_-G-

Post by Mr_-G- »

Lophophora wrote:Hi, I have a related question: I am using outputs 1&2 to my audio interface for recording and outputs 3&4 to my mixer/sound system for practicing/playing for fun. I would like to avoid having to change the settings every time I am switching activities. Is it possible?
But if you are using a mixer... I suppose that it also has an aux out? If so, send outputs 1&2 to the mixer and the aux out to your audio interface.
These users thanked the author Mr_-G- for the post:
nsureit
Lophophora

Post by Lophophora »

Mr_-G- wrote:But if you are using a mixer... I suppose that it also has an aux out? If so, send outputs 1&2 to the mixer and the aux out to your audio interface.
I could do this but I don't want to because I don't want to lose any signal quality when recording and my mixer is a small, low-budget appliance.
hijlko wrote:In stead of 3 & 4 you could use the headphones output (with a proper cable of course). This way you do not have to switch.
I usually don't like headphones outputs for anything but headphones because I have found it often causes some impedance problems, but I guess I can just try this.

Moreover, I just realized that the global effects (compression, reverb) are not applied to channels 3&4.

Thanks for your advice.
Last edited by Lophophora on 02 Jan 2016, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
offrhodes
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Post by offrhodes »

>> I usually don't like headphones outputs for anything but headphones because I have found it often causes some impedance problems,

Well, if you try it and find it doesn't work, fine. Most likely, a ground loop problem.
But at least theoretically, there is no "impedance" reason why it shouldn't work. The low-Z headphone output would be able to drive dozens, if not hundreds of high-Z line level inputs at the same time before anything happens to the signal.
A regular insert cable (6.3mm stereo to 2x 6.3 mm mono) does the trick.

As a disclaimer, I'm not advising anybody to do anything, but would do this myself (and have done it in the past with other keyboards).
Last edited by offrhodes on 02 Jan 2016, 23:46, edited 2 times in total.
And I was worried - all the way down to the ground
When it comes to holding safety nets
Nobody seems to be around
Lophophora

Post by Lophophora »

Just tried the headphones output, works fine. Thanks.
Per L

Post by Per L »

Neither can I. In other words; i guess I have to use the headphone-output to get a "free" signal for my monitor when I'm on stage and if the mixer doesn't have enough aux's..
NS2EX88, Roland KS12, K&M 18950, Yamaha DXR10
Per L

Post by Per L »

I Think I have the solution. Output 1+2 to the mixer, and headphone/Stereo-tele/RCA to the monitor. Thanks everybody!
Attachments
yamaha-dxr-10 baksida.jpg
yamaha-dxr-10 baksida.jpg (897.73 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
RCAtele.jpg
RCAtele.jpg (51.37 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
NS2EX88, Roland KS12, K&M 18950, Yamaha DXR10