Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

RECORDING ND2 USING CUBASE 5

Postby clumsypatch » 23 Nov 2015, 17:38

I would appreciate help with this, so thank you in advance if you are able to advise me - it would mean a lot..!

So, essentially, i am trying to properly set up my Nord Drum 2 for recording in Cubase 5.

On a basic level, i would like to be able to add the ND2 as a MIDI Device in Cubase, in order to both hear and record (in MIDI) the sounds that i have created on the ND2.

I have tried quite a few different things to solve this myself, including searching on this forum, and can't seem to find anything that helps... any ideas?

What i have been able to do is plug in the ND2, and using a VST instrument track (record enabled) i am able to successfully trigger sounds using my Nord Pad. However, i have encountered some serious issues when trying to record/playback the MIDI data on this track (which i will post a separate topic about...)

I hope that i've made that clear enough... here's hoping i've just missed something obvious and it'll all be a couple of clicks away from the perfect setup! Somehow i doubt it though...

Thanks again in advance,
Patch
Last edited by clumsypatch on 25 Nov 2015, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
clumsypatch

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2

RECORDING ND2 USING CUBASE 5

Sponsor

Re: RECORDING ND2 USING CUBASE 5

Postby Siggy » 02 Jan 2016, 03:02

I seem to be having the same issue. I am new to MIDI and am struggling to record the ND2 sounds using MIDI. Is this actually possible?

I can record audio no problem but how, using MIDI, can I get the cool sounds I've created on the ND2 to record on my DAW (Cubase)?

Please, oh sages, enlighten me...
Siggy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2

Postby maxpiano » 02 Jan 2016, 09:48

If you want to record the "sounds" you need to hook up your ND2 to your audio card and create a track to record Audio, not MIDI.

If you want to record also the MIDI data (then playback them to record the audio) you need to create another track that points to the ND2 MIDI IN/OUT ports.
Last edited by maxpiano on 02 Jan 2016, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby wartaler » 02 Jan 2016, 10:35

Hi!

MIDI is perfomance data, like notes, velocity, control changes etc - that can be communicated between Cubase, and the ND2. You can record/program/edit MIDI data on a MIDI track in Cubase. MIDI data does not include audio.
The audio that comes out of the Nord Drum 2 can be recorded on an audio track in Cubase.

MIDI:
Nord Pad > Nord Drum 2 <> MIDI interface <> Cubase MIDI track (data: notes, velocity etc)

Audio:
Nord Drum 2 > audio interface A/D > Cubase audio track.

Let's say you have the Nord Pad (or other pads) connected to your ND2. You can record a performance on a MIDI track in Cubase. You can easily edit the recorded notes, eg quantise, edit the velocity, delete/add some notes. When you then play back the track, the MIDI data goes to the ND2 which will produce sound. If you replace the ND2 with a different synth, the same notes are played, but with different sounds. MIDI is just data: which note is played at which velocity, etc

If you have a problem with setting up MIDI correctly, feel free to ask...

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 02 Jan 2016, 14:02, edited 4 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Return to Nord Drum Forum